  • magnus bredstrup
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2000
      >I don't think so. If you've read "The Age of Reason" the
      >philosopher-protagonist debates a lot about this and comes to the
      > >conclusion freedom is in not having all of the options. He >has
      >"freedom" to do whatever he wants, marry his girlfriend, abandon >her etc.
      >but he becomes stuck in his own freedom so that it becomes >binding. Once
      >he makes a choice, it isn't freedom anymore.

      Wasn't the idea of 'Age of reason' that Mathieu is in bad fatih because he
      doesn't use his freedom? To me it seems that he believes, that freedom is
      something that needs to be preserved, and not something that only contains
      the value it is given through an engagement in one's own existence.
      Fx that he as a child decides to become free, and thereby doesn't accept the
      fact that he is already free. I think that it is the realisation of having
      wasted his life by not acting, which is the morale of 'Age of reason'.
      -Magnus