Eavesdropping

  • Charles Vermont
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2000
      Martin,

      I tend to agree with Curtis when he writes:

      >You continue to make the choice to be in society every moment you choose not to leave it and move elsewhere.<

      The only thing I would add is that if I choose to try and leave society then there is the possibility I will fail and have to remain - but then I believe I would have to take responsibility for this as well.

      Don, you commented:

      >I think that I can therefore choose to live in such a society and still, in good faith, choose to remain unseen in this given situation.<

      I agree that you or anyone else can choose to try and  live in society and not be watched when eavesdropping, but if you fail in this endeavour then is it a restriction of your freedom of choice, or is it simply the consequence of a previous choice?

      Another example would be this: I could choose today to try and become a doctor. I have no medical qualifications whatsoever so there is very little chance of me becoming one except through fraud - is this a genuine restriction in my freedom of choice, or simply the consequence of not studying medicine earlier in my life?

      Charles Vermont
      london.uk