Re: [Sartre] Sartre's language

  • Andrew Crocker
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2000
      >Sartre makes a big song and dance about man's "absolute freedom" but when
      >he
      >defines this it seems to turn out to be something much more conservative
      >than
      >his language would suggest. Is Sartre's philosophy a victim of his own
      >misleading and hyperbolic language?

      I don't think so. If you've read "The Age of Reason" the
      philosopher-protagonist debates a lot about this and comes to the conclusion
      freedom is in not having all of the options. He has "freedom" to do
      whatever he wants, marry his girlfriend, abandon her etc. but he becomes
      stuck in his own freedom so that it becomes binding. Once he makes a
      choice, it isn't freedom anymore.