"Dumb Advertising"

  • dnewdeath@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
      Gerry...what are you talking about ? My signature ? I am not selling anything. Do I detect some anger ? I only want to read the posts on this board that pertain to existentialism. If I have offended you in some way, you have my apoligies....and yes I can discuss "nothingness." So far your responses directed at me have the Socratic form of pointlessness. I will leave you alone my friend.

      NewDeath (Registered Trade Mark 1994)
        Daniel Rocco-
        NewDeath(TM)1995/dnewdeath@... /0/<<<<<<Visit Daniel Rocco's Home Page^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    • james tan
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
        do i detect some anger? some defensiveness?

        james.

        From: dnewdeath@...
        To: sartre@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Sartre] "Dumb Advertising"
        Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 21:11:01 EST

        Gerry...what are you talking about ? My signature ? I am not selling
        anything. Do I detect some anger ? I only want to read the posts on this
        board that pertain to existentialism. If I have offended you in some way,
        you
        have my apoligies....and yes I can discuss "nothingness." So far your
        leave you alone my friend.

        NewDeath (Registered Trade Mark 1994)
        Daniel Rocco-
        <A
        HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/_cqr/_register/edit.adp?files=IjbwjKREh%252fm34LlXEvqjswIQwp9BFchy3vmbZerb1Dg%253d&view.x=35&view.y=13">NewDeath(TM)1995/dnewdeath@...
        /0/</A><<<<<<Visit Daniel Rocco's Home Pa
        ge^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      • Gerry Reinhart-Waller
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
          It's OK if you disregard ME but please don't disregard "NEW DEATH" by DANIEL ROCCO in your post.  If this is an example of "existentialism" them I'm willing to investigate.  EXCEPT, I don't know much about this "new death" (although I can figment my imagination).  I'd be willing to listen if you wish to explain.

          Gerry
          Gerry...what are you talking about ? My signature ? I am not selling anything. Do I detect some anger ? I only want to read the posts on this board that pertain to existentialism. If I have offended you in some way, you have my apoligies....and yes I can discuss "nothingness." So far your responses directed at me have the Socratic form of pointlessness. I will leave you alone my friend.

          NewDeath (Registered Trade Mark 1994)
            Daniel Rocco-
            NewDeath(TM)1995/dnewdeath@... /0/<<<<<<Visit Daniel Rocco's Home Page^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

          <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon (US).</A>

        • Gerry Reinhart-Waller
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
            hmmm. i think you do.

            gerry

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
              Gerry: NewDeath (one word) is a trade name I use in my signature preferences because I use my system to crank out client reports that has nothing to do with anything here. It has nothing to do with existentialism. I don't design my life around this discussion group so I have no intention to change my signature. Relax. It's is only a signature preference.

              I do have some simple, but serious questions: Why did Sartre attempt to communicate his ideas through plays, and/or was he actually trying to communicate his ideas (philosophy) via the stage? Were his plays a totally separate enterprise that had little or nothing to do with his philosophy? If he was attempting to communicate his philosophy through his plays, who was he hoping to communicate to? This has really been puzzling me since I began visiting this discussion group. Respectfully:

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                Well Daniel,
                It appears that you are trying to communicate your ideas through your signature.  Hey, Osama bin Laden conveyed his ideas with the bombing of the WTC and the PENTAGON.  I don't like ideas conveyed that way.  If you wish, please comment on what has been said.  Or if not, be lost.

                Gerry

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2001
                  My idea, good or bad, is that artists who communicate through books have lesser audiences than those who communicate through plays (drama, etc).  Actually, drama IMO, is THE best way to express an idea.  And as far as performance, the stage conveys much, much more than the book.

                  Gerry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Existentialism cannot be viewed in a void. Philosophy
                    and life for existentialists were deeply intertwined.
                    Remember that Sartre was not only interested in
                    overthrowing bourgoeis morality but also in taking a
                    political stance vis-vis France's involvement in
                    algeria etc etc
                    He felt that philosphy was sometimes too
                    intellectualist and he wanted to side with the
                    oppressed,poor, marginalised in society and raise an
                    awareness of inauthentic ways of being. This awareness
                    and change in society could only come about if people
                    were aware of their inauthentic existence hence the
                    need for plays, literature etc. This was also a
                    personal movement in that his plays, books etc were a
                    way for Sartre to question his own upbringing, ideas
                    and morality.
                    Generally there are three moments of thought in
                    Sartre.
                    1. Existentialist (focus on individual)
                    2. Marxist (focus on the collective or group)
                    3. In interviews with benny-levy there is talk of the
                    religious image of the goddess being a new model for
                    society. He was still completely athiest though! But
                    the religious image as a uniting force perhaps?!

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com