Re: [Sartre] help me out here.

  • Lady Cindy
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 15, 2001

      thank you everyone who replied. i have to do the report on sartre because he was french.  yea i am just thinking on my gamepoint and where i should just try to explain. i didnt mean immature... they are just so narrowminded. and i dont mean to be abrupt... but it is so true. they think there way of thinking is the only way... i want to let them see other ways of thinking and be open to it. i want to help them understand things. thats why i chose a difficult topic to speak upon

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals.
    • David Kovar
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 15, 2001
        Like anywhere you speak...it is always better to get their attentiong maybe knowing their narrow mindness can somehow be used to your advantage.    But attacking or using that point you could make them at least listen to you...

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 16, 2001

          Cindy wrote:
          >>they think there way of thinking is the only way... i want to let them see other ways of thinking and be open to it. i want to help them understand things. thats why i chose a difficult topic to speak upon<<

          Cindy, where are you--a Taliban training camp?  I admire you decision to chose something difficult--that's the way to learn something new.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2001

            i am in the middle of a lil rich stuck up town in new jersey. i just find some pople to be just close minded... i admire those who are open to other ideas and i want to spread that. thats my goal. not to change the way people think, but to help open thier minds to different ideas. its not my way and the wrong way, theres other ways of thinking and doing things. they are not wrong, they are just different.

            Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

            <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon (US).</A>

            Do You Yahoo!?
            Find the one for you at Yahoo! Personals.

          • silk
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18, 2001

              Hi Cindy & all, Silk here: Cindy how old are you? I suspect you will change your opinion [perhaps many times] as concerns the woof & warp of things before your days are done. Sarte & most philosophers have. One must becareful not to become a "philosophers groupie" as many an educated person hath done. Education & or reading books does not = wisdom nor enlightenment by any stretch of the imagination. All the books in the world will not endow one with wisdom or better yet commonsense. Any parrot can spend a few years in college memorizing text & then calling forth the correct answers to questions posed on an examination & pass & thus recieve a diploma. This is not wisdom! About groupies: Throughout history a variety of persons have become famous (well known) for a myriad of reasons & for some reason your average groupie will cling to their every word as though it was gospel when in fact these "famous personages" were not in the least qualified to speak on the particular subject. A good chess player is a good chess player is a good chess... and only that until proven otherwise, one mustn't get into to the habit of faulty deduction. It is like Syllogisms: All mothers are good......... We know thats not true however & it's a big however........

              You have movie actors coming out & speaking their mind on subjects they know virtually nothing about & are taken seriously! I do not know you therefore I cannot attest to your gullibility nor as to how impressionable you may be, I only make these remarks to perhaps awaken you to the fact that some of these "alleged" great thinkers were only plaigiarists! I would go so far as to say that the greatest minds have never been recorded. Those who know don't speak (are confident & self contained & need not the concurrence of their fellow man), those who don't do! An individual sure of themself & of their beliefs need not the approval nor validation of their peers.

              Einstein stood on the shoulders of Faraday, Newton, Galileo & who knows how many countless others........I personally owe a debt of gratitude to the thinkers be their thoughts counterfeit or sterling I only say lets keep things in their proper perspective, N'est-ce pas?

              "god" appeared to 4 men & said "your wish is my command"! The first wised for wealth & was so given. The 2nd wished for power & was so given. The 3rd desired fame & was so given. The 4th humbly requested wisdom & was rendered wise. [We return years later] the 1st who wished for wealth had squandered it & was now destitute, the 2nd who craved power had been hanged by his subjects for the very abuse of such power, the third & his fame had grown so egotistical that all respect was lost & he was laughed at & riduculed for the pompous fool that he was & so he comitted suicide! The 4th who had requested wisdom now had all three, wealth, power & fame for it requires wisdom to request it!  chao/Silk