nurture or nature? Feral children...

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8 4:34 PM
      An example of what mere animals we would be with out learned culture.
      This also hints how much society plays on our thinking, negative or
      not. Thus is for the side "nuture" rather than "nuture". My teacher
      told me about this and it is in my sociology textbook, I
      researched further online and copy and pasted some of what I found:

      Commonalities in Feral (found raised by animals) or Isolated Children
      (no one raised them) are: cannot speak, bite, scratch, growl, walk on
      all fours, eat grass and flowers, tear ravonously at raw meat, drink
      by lapping water, pounce on small animals devouring them uncooked,
      and show insensitivity to pain and cold.

      As shown by Isabelle, a feral girl found in the wild, it is not
      because they are stupid. She showed all the animal signs I stated
      above when first captured, but in less than two years in society she
      reached the intillectual level that is normal for her age.

      Wild Boy of Aveyron

      A wild boy captured in the woods near the village of Lacaune, France,
      in 1797. The boy was taken by his captors (local peasants), kicking
      and struggling, to be displayed in the village square. The wild boy
      managed to escape, but a year later (1798) he was caught again in the
      vicinity of Lacaune by three hunters as he was climbing a tree. He
      was then taken to a local widow's house, who fed and clothed him for
      a week. At the first change, the boy again ran away to the forest.
      But the wild boy was now less wary of human company, and stared
      showing up hungry at farmhouse doors.

      Eventually, in 1800 with winter at its worst, the hungry wild boy
      wandered near another village, Saint Sernin, and was captured again,
      this time by a a local leather tanner named Vidal. After that,
      Victor, as the boy came to be known, never returned to the wild.

      The boy was dirty and inarticulate, and he moved on all fours and
      grunted like a beast. Brought to Paris — Napoleon's brother himself,
      Lucien Bonaparte, the Minister for the Interior, demanded that the
      boy had to be examined by members of the society — and exhibited in a
      cage, Victor would rock back and forth and appear completely

      Children that by some twist of fate and/or circumstance were raised
      in a non-human, inhuman or sub-human environment, and because of it
      did not learn how to communicate and/or behave in a human manner.

      There have been, since the 1600s, about 40 cases of feral children
      which become widely known and documented.

      Among the cases of long ago, there are a few that deserve mention,
      such as those of the Hessian wolf-boy (1341), of Wild Peter of
      Hanover — found in 1724 in Germany — who was brought to England by
      King George I, of the Irish sheep-boy (1672), of the Lithuanian bear-
      boy — found in 1661 living among bears — who was adopted by a Polish
      count who attempted to "humanize" him, of the wild boy of Aveyron
      (Victor) — a child of about 12 who was seized by three hunters in
      France in 1798 as he was climbing a tree — who was seen by locals
      throughout many years running in the wild entirely naked before his
      capture, and the well documented case of Kaspar Hauser (1828).
      Another case, whose authenticity has been disputed, is that of Kamala
      and Amala, two feral girls supposedly found among wolf cubs in India
      in 1920.

      More recently and better documented, is the amazing story of John
      Ssabunnya, who was reared by apes in the Ugandan jungle in the late
      80s and early 90s.