Re: [Sartre] On Being vs. Doing

  • David Kovar
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001

      One... I believe you are taking his statement of homosexuality too far...I think he is just saying that this who he..is or what he would have chosen.....Not even sure if he is sure...But i feel that you are mistating sartre...

      "If you are having sexual relations with

      >the opposite sex, and you are married to a person of the opposite sex,

      >and you are monogamous, and you are raising children with a person of the

      >opposite sex, then that makes you heterosexual, according to Sartre" Chis Bobo stated.

      I dont think sartre would say that it makes you a hetrosexual....it is counter existentialist...the point is that your essence your being is always being recreated...it means that there is not exacty being...to that person...if he chose that it is just  a choice of that person...it doesnt mean he is anything that who he is...maybe he is being unauthenic with that choice...but to say he something say he becomes that it makes no sense...like the monster in Frankenstein said that he became what his acts...were...he became evil...our actions dont determine us...not to the point you are suggesting.

      >From: "Christopher Bobo"
      >To: "Sartre_yahoogr"
      >Subject: [Sartre] On Being vs. Doing
      >Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:58:26 -0800
      >

      >bootboyesf wrote:
      >"i consider myself to be a homosexual"
      >This entire way of viewing yourself as "being something" is contrary to
      >Sartre's view of the person. (And we have discussed this before on the
      >list--how modern homosexuals view themselves.) According to Sartre we are =
      >nothing. We do not have any essence, life a homosexual essence, that
      >precedes your individual existence. According to Sartre, our choices and
      >actions define who and what we are. If you are having sexual relations with
      >the opposite sex, and you are married to a person of the opposite sex,
      >and you are monogamous, and you are raising children with a person of the
      >opposite sex, then that makes you heterosexual, according to Sartre. You
      >may be a heterosexual with some homsexual inclinations, but in a Sartrean
      >world, you are what you do.
      >How you view your situation, as Paradise or Perdition, is also up to you.
      >You create your own world and give meaning to it. You are responsible
      >for your actions and your choices. And if Sartre were here, I'm sure he'd
      >tell you not to go around looking for excuses or other people to tell you
      >ou what to do. It's your choice, you decide. And no whinning along the way.

      bootboyesf wro=
      >te:
      "i consider myself to be a homosexual"
       </= DIV <>>DIV>