Re: [Sartre] What does it really mean?

  • Justinian C. Habner
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
      The book is called: "Humanisme et racisme humain". It was published in '73 or
      '72. And I think that there is an English translation available, but I have
      not seen it? But the original French is avaialble, so if you can cope with
      French you will be fine.

      It is an interesting book, but fundamentally flawed - I think. Champigny, basically
      takes insult to a off the cuff comment by Sartre that: "An anti-communist is
      a dog". Champigny produces a whole critique from that! (I think he misses
      the real point of the comment, namely, that Sartre used the expression in the
      normal way... slang so to say... not as an insult for dogs).

      Anyway, the book is nonetheless interesting.

      Enjoy!!

      Justin

      >At 17:27 +1000 30/10/01, Justinian C. Habner wrote:
      >>Champigny actually wrote a book about what he saw as Sartre's human racism,

      >>of anthropomania!
      >
      >Well, thanks for that. I think I should be reading Champigny! Do you
      >know the name of this book?
      >
      >>Sartre suggested in response, and here I agree, that is is hard to
      >>really discuss
      >>the consciousness of animals in relation to humans. animals have
      >>consciousness,
      >>because you can understand their attitudes if you admit that they
      >>have a consciousness
      >>(like that of humans). However, Sartre stopped short of describing what this

      >>animal consciousness actually was like - suggesting that one day perhaps we

      >>could understand their consciousness.
      >
      >Yes, I was starting to run into this problem.
      >
      >>Sartre also considered plants (albeit briefly [from my memory]),
      >>where he claimed
      >>that he had no idea if they had consciousness.
      >
      >If we are going to include plants perhaps minerals should also be in
      >the running?
      >
      >>Really Sartre seems to think that consciousness and life do not necessarily

      >>go together - but they may do, as in the case of humans or dogs.
      >>But this consciousness
      >>is perhaps different, we really do not know - at least at this stage?!?
      >
      >I agree with you, Justinian. One is not the necessary and sufficient
      >precondition of the other.
      >
      >With regard to our/Sartre's anthropomania it is our lack of
      >experience/knowledge that leads us to claim that only humans qualify
      >for subjective consciousness status.
      >
      >I am interested to know what others think about whether subjective
      >consciousness can only exist at the *individual* human level. What
      >about groups: tribes, cultures, communities, nations? When we talk
      >about the Other (eg. terrorists, Muslims) from the perspective of Us
      >(eg. the West, America) are we necessarily acting in bad faith?
      >
      >Tommy
      >
      >Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

      ><A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click
      here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon (US).</A>

      Justinian C. Habner
      Honours Student
      School of Government
      University of Tasmania
      PO Box 252-22 Hobart
      Tasmania Australia 7001

      Tel: (03) 6226 2331
      Fax: (03) 6226 2864
      Mobile: 0401 023543
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2001
        Sartre probably actually meant to say "running dog lackey..."  :)