Biology (was: Race and history)

  • Marc Girod
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2001
      >>>>> "lois" == loisppc@... writes:

      lois> Note that I'm not saying necessarily that biology does influence
      lois> our behavior, but I'm saying we can't fully rule out that
      lois> possibility.

      I acknowledge James Tan's citation of "Le deuxième sexe".

      It is not only that we cannot rule it out: obviously biology does
      influence our behaviour. What is free and thus our responsibility, is
      the meaning and the value we give to our behaviour.

      We can build planes, since we have no wings. But it is only because we
      identify birds that we decide we have no wings.

      The same with birth control and biological differences between men and
      women. Yet, if one takes estrogens, the risk of breast cancer rises.
      So no decision is "shoot and forget". We continuously have to adapt
      and manage situations in which we are involved.

      --
      Marc Girod P.O. Box 360 Voice: +358-71 80 25581
      Nokia NBI 00045 NOKIA Group Mobile: +358-50 38 78415
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001

        Research has shown that biology does effect behavior.  There are two main chemicals associated with this:  serotonin and..dont recall other though.    But, these chemcals have been connected with aggressive behavior.  I believe when serotonin goes down aggressive behavior increases.   It might be the other way around.    These chemical effect the neurotransmitter.  The amount changes how we process information as far as researcher can tell.  There has been some research that found that the serotonin levels is greater in urban areas than in rural areas.  These chemicals seem to work differently in different people but it can be said that the aggressive behavior is related to them.  So the reality can be said that biology does effect our behavior.  It does not mean that behavior is predetermined because our biology is determined by the environment in some way.  But, we do not know the complete story as of yet.

        >From: Marc Girod
        >To: Sartre@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Sartre] Biology (was: Race and history)
        >Date: 06 Oct 2001 10:46:22 +0300

        >lois> Note that I'm not saying necessarily that biology does influence
        >lois> our behavior, but I'm saying we can't fully rule out that
        >lois> possibility.
        >
        >I acknowledge James Tan's citation of "Le deuxi�me sexe".
        >
        >It is not only that we cannot rule it out: obviously biology does
        >influence our behaviour. What is free and thus our responsibility, is
        >the meaning and the value we give to our behaviour.
        >
        >We can build planes, since we have no wings. But it is only because we
        >identify birds that we decide we have no wings.
        >
        >The same with birth control and biological differences between men and
        >women. Yet, if one takes estrogens, the risk of breast cancer rises.
        >So no decision is "shoot and forget". We continuously have to adapt
        >and manage situations in which we are involved.
        >
        >--
        >Marc Girod P.O. Box 360 Voice: +358-71 80 25581
        >Nokia NBI 00045 NOKIA Group Mobile: +358-50 38 78415
        >Karaportti 2 Finland Fax: +358-71 80 22606

      • Michael Posluns
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
          David Kovar wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > >I acknowledge James Tan's citation of "Le deuxième sexe".
          > >
          > >It is not only that we cannot rule it out: obviously biology does
          > >influence our behaviour. What is free and thus our responsibility, is
          >
          > >the meaning and the value we give to our behaviour.
          > >
          > >We can build planes, since we have no wings. But it is only because
          > we
          > >identify birds that we decide we have no wings.
          > >
          > >The same with birth control and biological differences between men
          > and
          > >women. Yet, if one takes estrogens, the risk of breast cancer rises.
          > >So no decision is "shoot and forget". We continuously have to adapt
          > >and manage situations in which we are involved.
          > >
          > >--
          > >Marc Girod P.O. Box 360 Voice: +358-71 80 25581
          > >Nokia NBI 00045 NOKIA Group Mobile: +358-50 38 78415
          > >Karaportti 2 Finland Fax: +358-71 80 22606

          [Image]

          > Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

          > <A
          > HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click
          > here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon
          > (US).</A>

          "Even war seldom shows as large a percentage of fatalities as does the
          education system we have imposed upon our Indian wards."...
          Saturday Night magazine, November 23, 1907, on the report of Dr. P.H.
          Bryce,
          Chief Medical Officer, Indian Affairs Branch.

          "How long will you judge unjustly, and show partiality toward the
          wicked? Do justice to the poor and fatherless, deal righteously with
          the afflicted and destitute. Rescue the poor and needy; save them from
          the hand of the wicked." (A Psalm of Asaph, The Psalm for the Third
          Day.)

          How can we be sure that the unexamined life is not worth living?

          Michael W. Posluns,
          The Still Waters Group,
          First Nations Relations & Public Policy

          Daytime: 416 995-8613
          Evening: 416 656-8613
          Fax: 416 656-2715

          36 Lauder Avenue,
          Toronto, Ontario,
          M6H 3E3
        • David Kovar
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001

            >From: Michael Posluns
            > >
            > > That, however, is not the point about race.
            > >
            > > Can you say with any kind of scientific specificity who belongs to a

            > > given race and who does not?

            The point that i was attacking was behavior....and biology....the statements seem to have question the connection.   The problem that race is more of social construct not something that can be easily identified.  Social science has had problem with defintions as it seems that the same problem exists here.  Is race defined by other qualites...color...?   Or by the individual deciding he belongs to that group?   Or is it all the ancestor from a certain region?  But what is race really...why is it so significant...i dont see any nation....of one race...i dont think race keeps us together anymore.  It is something of the past....maybe of the greeks..and maybe not even then...I dont know what a jew is or even behavior...i know some people say that we have suffered......but the reality is they have not....but maybe distant ancestors have....if they keep what is not there....they become violent...agressive..at times paranoid...I think all these people should live now...and understand what that means in their lives...

          • Viriato Ferreira de Castro
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2001

              >From: "David Kovar"
              >To: Sartre@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Sartre] Biology (was: Race and history)
              >Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 20:24:57 -0600

              I must reply you in order to say my opinion in this precise point of debate. I think that race is a legacy produced by the different evolution processes in each continent and has got something to do with the interaction of cultures. Someway this interaction thing has something to say but it's not the only issue. There is more facts that proove that there is a concept of race well defined. We cannot suppose that someday we will live like people live in Asia or in Africa being an European or an American. Biology and genetics give us the right answer for that. As much as we try to mix up together the essencial traces of the americans, asians, africans and europeans there will always be a difference. What we must do is to live with that and learn with all this biodiversity.

              Chegou o novo MSN Explorer. Instale já. É gratuito! http://explorer.msn.com.br
            • David Kovar
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14, 2001

                acknowledges your point