SV: Digest Number 100

  • Bosse Helsing
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 1999
      Hello Greg,
      Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that we at some point always is free.
      But what if we don`t know that?
      In Being and Nothingness Sartre describes that the consious put one self in bad faith in the
      same way as we go to sleep and are in bad faith like we are when we are dreaming.
      How we then relate to the wourld is an un-reflective choice.
      For example, some teenagers I met in my work have been exposed for what Sartre
      describes as hate from parents under their childhood. What if a person have no possibility
      to act according to a free will, that every attempt to transcendence are rejected?
      I think the consious will put itself in bad faith and the project of the bad faith will be to
      controll every step in life and in that way controll how others will respond on the behaviour.
      Would not the project of bad faith in this situation be to reject the possibility to act according
      to the free will?
      I have some difficulties to write about Sartre in English, I hope I am clear enough,
      Bosse
      Mery Christmas everyone