RE: Bad faith and changes

  • gsevans@xx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 1999
      Hello Bosse,

      Actually, I don't think Sartre would have argued that we ever are in a
      situation where we have no possibilities to act in the world according to our free will, even though there
      may well be situations where
      our possibilties are, indeed, limited. Bad faith is, on the other hand, when we state that "we had no other
      choice," but to do as we did. If there is always a choice (even a limited one), we can't really state that we
      had to exactly what it is we did (or that we "must" do something in the future). Therefore bad faith really
      can't determine our outlook in and of itself, bad faith is something we choose to do, a way we choose to
      look at the world ("my country, right or wrong") and new things can only be discovered when we recognize
      our freedom and that there always exist possibilities, even if they're not always pleasant ones (e.g. fight in a
      war and kill other people, or not fight and be branded by society at large as a coward or traitor).

      Greg

      Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 16:16:09 +0100
      From: "Lena Helsing" <lena.helsing@...
      Subject: Bad faith and changes

      Hello,
      My name is Bosse Helsing, and i am a new member in this
      community. I work with tennagers who are suffering from depression and other
      psychic illness. I am therefor interested in understanding of the human mind
      and emotions. Especially in the relation between the human and the enviroment.
      The question i will like to discuss is hom does changes occur in human life.
      Sartre discuss a reflctive conscious an a unreflective
      conscious. The unreflectiv concsious is in direct relation to the world,
      the environment is crated within this, and role the way how we understand it.
      So most of the time we are on a unreflective level in our minds. As I
      understand it bad faith occurs whwn we have no possibilitys to act in the
      world according to our free will, then the conscious change itself to handle
      the situation and it becomes deterministic. If a person then is in bad faith
      it will role how this person understand the world. How can, in this situation
      changes and new thins be discovered?

      bosse.helsing@...