Re: [Sartre] Digest Number 489

  • Som A. Tsoi
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
      Someone had made mention of an incident quite a while
      ago. It may have been about a year ago that it was
      brought up on this list.

      The incident took place in Manhattan; a woman was
      attacked as she was entering her apartment, stabbed
      repeatedly � the attacker then walked away. Several
      minutes later the attacker came back and stabbed the
      woman again. Throughout the attack, from start to
      finish several witnesses did nothing to aid the woman.
      All the details are rather vague to me; I may be
      mistaken in my recollection. --But if the above sounds
      distantly familiar to anyone, if you could, please
      provide me with more information on this incident.
      Thanks.

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • RickG15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2001
        In a message dated 8/2/2001 6:56:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        somurai@... writes:

        Throughout the attack, from start to
        finish several witnesses did nothing to aid the woman.
        All the details are rather vague to me; I may be
        mistaken in my recollection. --But if the above sounds
        distantly familiar to anyone, if you could, please
        provide me with more information on this incident.

        Kitty Genovese
        I've learned about the incident a good 6 or 7 times in classes.
        Pretty famous.
        Should be easy to find plenty of info on.

        Rick

        http://hometown.aol.com/RickG15/afnfu.html
      • Jos� Rodr�guez
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2001

          This is a very famous case, I read about it in my social psychology class.  Everyone thought that someone else would call the police therefore differing the responsibility.  If I remember correctly it was reported that the woman's screams were heard through out the building.

          jose