Pulping Culture

  • Pulp C
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1999
      1. Protesting the WTO in Seattle [the revolution may not be televised but
      *will* it come with optional cinnamon sprinkled on top!]
      2. What is science and should we test our knowledge on the basis of what
      works?
      3. Working our way toward a a reading of The Psychic Life of Power, Judith
      Butler
      4. Why is the measure of love, loss? [Jean Winterson, _Written on the Body_]
      5. Is fear a fundamental component of human life.
      6. Lacan, feminist critiques of Lacan, gender and sexuality

      The above are just a taste of the conversations crystallizing at Pulp
      Culture. What is Pulp Culture?

      PULP (pulp) n. 1. the fleshy, succulent part of fruit; 2. any soft,
      formless substance, as of disintegrated matter, esp. wood fiber used for
      making paper. v. to squeeze, press, knead.

      CULTURE (kul-chur) n. 1. a society or group characterized by its
      distinctive practices, customs, beliefs; 2. an appreciation for art,
      literature, music; 3. improvement by care or training in a special
      environment.

      PULP CULTURE: to press, squeeze, knead, or shape the juicy, fleshy,
      succulent bits of culture, media, and politics.

      Pulp Culture is an e-mail discussion list and (eventually) 'zine focusing
      on critical engagements
      with and analyses of media/culture/politics. From the fleshy, sweet acidity
      and pulpy bits of popular media/culture to the tough, bitter rind of
      Culture to the tendinous fibers of the political economy, we want to "pulp
      culture" from a variety of critical, practical and theoretical
      perspectives. Our aim,
      as well, is the reconstruction of theory. That is, we want to "pulp theory"
      in order to interrogate its presuppositions and to examine the conditions
      of its possibility. Discussions at Pulp Culture, then, are intended as
      interventions in the terrain of ongoing theoretical, cultural and
      ideological-political
      struggles inherent in the production/consumption of media/culture in all
      its forms.

      To join the fun, fray and fissures at Pulp Culture send a subscription
      message to:

      majordomo@....

      In the body of the message type, subscribe pulp-culture.

      If you'd like to subscribe to the daily digest version type, subscribe
      pulp-culture-digest.

      To learn more about Pulp Culture check out the rind at
      http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pulp_culture.htm

      See you at Pulp!

      Ken Mackendrick, University of Toronto
      Kelley Walker, Syracuse University