Re: [Sartre] ENGAGEMENT

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2001
      Sartre's concept of engagement is a way of considering or viewing the world that is different from the scientific, or objective, way of viewing the world.  The scientist seeks to describe the world as independent of any facts connected with human understanding.  But from the perspective of the engaged human consciousness, objects--beings-in-themselves--present themselves to us as means through which actions may be performed or goals approached.  From the perspective of engagement, the objects of the world are placed into a situation of human instrumentality.   As conciousness views things in terms of remaking them for it's own ends, objects acquire meaning only insofar as we are engaged with them.  In this way, human consciousness structures the world to its own projects.  This restructuring occurs pre-reflectively, because it occurs in the original upsurge of consciouness in the world.  Before we have even reflected on the world, simply by virtue of our conciousness of it, we have ordered it in such as way to make it human and to make it ours.  No doubt, the writer does to the same with the world consistent with his or her project of writing about the world.  The writer's engagement with the world imparts meaning and significance to it quite independent of any notion of an objective truth.