Re: [sartre-dialognet] Re: Bultmann, Heidegger, and Gnost

  • Gary C Moore
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 12:32 AM
      From: <UNCLJOEDOC@...>
      To: <sartre-dialognet@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 1:20 AM
      Subject: Re: [sartre-dialognet] Re: Bultmann, Heidegger, and Gnost

      > What the Philosopher glibly overlooks is that it may be impossible
      > not to have been born.
      > Joe F

      Dear Joe,
      No not "glibly," not glibly at all. Sophokles and all the Hellenes were
      intensely aware of the impossibility "not to have been born." They called it
      'moira' which we very inappropriately translate as "fate". In the Western
      Christian culture, having a "fate", a 'destiny' is a grand thing because it
      means you have been specially picked out even if things end badly, which,
      strangely enough in Western fate, often turns out NOT to have been
      completely inevitable. Hellenic "moira," on the other hand, applied as much
      to the lowliest thrall as to the highest king equally. It meant all of their
      efforts regardless were utterly worthless, trash. Instead of a grand thing,
      it was a very nasty thing, exactly expressed by my generations' sayings,
      "Life is a bitch and then you die,' and "Eat shit and die." Heidegger
      usually seems to have a grand view of "destiny" and "fate" in B &T, and
      touches on birth in only a few pages - but extremely interesting pages.
      Sartre says nothing, or next to nothing that I know of, but his friend
      Maurice Merleau-Ponty goes into the meaning of being born in great depth in
      PHENOMENOLOGY OF PERCEPTION. It fully develops all Heidegger has to say
      about being born and "throwness" which definitely does have some of the
      nasty aspect of "moira" to the point it seems that understanding this is
      really what philosophy is ALL about. No, not glibly. Rather, extremely
      complex, mostly unthought and unknowable, and therefore being essentially
      what I am that I cannot fundamentally ever understand, terrifying.

      'Sincerely'

      Gary C. Moore