Re: [Sartre] communication and essence

    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2001

      I, too, sensed a little imprecision in the use of the term "essence" and a resulting discussion at cross-purposes.  For Sartre and Hegel, essence is what has been.  Sartre calls it man's past.  Since there is no pre-established pattern for human nature, each man makes his essence as he lives.  Sartre was, I think, interested in the essence of human consciousness, as this definition of essence exists.  His disuccsion of essence is limited to the ontology of phenomena, yet when we discuss it, we often slip into speaking as if we were talking about noumenal things-in-themselves.  Thus, as a description in the form of a phenomenological ontology, Sartre could be right, while from the speculative view of metaphysics one might still maintain that is some sense essence precedes existence.