Re: [Sartre] civility anyone?

  • Kitten
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001
      Re: [Sartre] civility anyone?
      Step 1.  Go to the yahoo groups website.  groups.yahoo.com
      Step 2.  Enter your "Yahoo! ID" and password
      Step 3.  Click "Sign in"
      Step 4.  Look to the left.  You will see a list of your groups.
      Step 5.  Click "Sartre"
      Step 6.  When the next page opens, at the right there is an "Unsubscribe" link.
      Step 7.  CLICK IT.
      Step 8.  Scroll to the bottom of the next page that opens and click Unsubscribe again.

      Try *not* leaving your unsubscription up to a moderator on a group that is UNMODERATED!!!!  That means, boys and girls, that your "remove" e-mails are useless because there is no one with the authority to remove you.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to work.   I don't expect people to cover my responsibilities for me.

      J.M.
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001
        Dear friends,

        I'm a PhD student working on my thesis under the title
        of "Sartre and Religion". I appreciate it if you let
        me know some resources(books and articles)related to
        this topic.

        Best wishes

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • John Foster
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001
          There is a lecture on the web about Sartre and God. Sartre said god could
          not exist because 'existence' preceeds 'essence'. For there to be a God
          there would be an essence prior to existence. I don't think much though was
          put into this. God does not exist prior to essence....so I don' think that
          Sartre put much thought into the existence of God.

          God is an animative - creative principle operative in the Universe.....If
          something is to preceed something else, then it must do so in time or in
          logic. God is both outside time, and critical thinking. Many philosophical
          terms like infinity, and whole, lack any adequate definition. Read book six,
          Aristotle, Ethics, regarding intuition, contemplation of the invariable.

          http://www.pvspade.com/Sartre/pdf/sartre2.pdf

          Or it is the other lecture.

          addios

          john foster

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001
            >>There is a lecture on the web about Sartre and God. Sartre said god could
            not exist because 'existence' preceeds 'essence'. For there to be a God
            there would be an essence prior to existence. I don't think much though was
            put into this. God does not exist prior to essence....so I don' think that
            Sartre put much thought into the existence of God.<<

            We discussed this very subject here on this list.  Sartre actually did not use that argument to conclude that God does not exist but only that if God exists then he is more like human beings.  The precedence of existence over essence can no more disprove the existence of God than it can disprove the existence of human beings, whose existence also preceeds their essence.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/n4HqaC/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/AVnXlB/TM

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001
              At 10:45 am -0800 21/3/01, Hedayat Alavitabar wrote:
              > > Try *not* leaving your unsubscription up to a
              > > moderator on a group that is UNMODERATED!!!!

              Sorry for inadvertantly giving the impression that this group is
              unmoderated. I had merely neglected to read all the messages for a
              few days and wasn't aware of Elephant's predicament and the resultant
              annoyances until just now.

              I did however receive an email into my main inbox stating that
              Elephant had unsubscribed so, since I have not received another one
              saying he has resubscribed I am assuming he has worked out how to do
              it himself.

              While I am here, can I repeat my request to list members to trim
              quoted messages. There are a few in this last batch where not only
              entire messages are quoted but there are quotations of quotations
              making the emails unnecessarily large.

              Thanks, and keep it coming!

              Tommy Beavitt
              list moderator
              --
              http://www.scoraig.com
            • John Foster
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 21, 2001

                Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 1:40 PM

                >>There is a lecture on the web about Sartre and God. Sartre said god could
                not exist because 'existence' preceeds 'essence'. For there to be a God
                there would be an essence prior to existence. I don't think much though was
                put into this. God does not exist prior to essence....so I don' think that
                Sartre put much thought into the existence of God.<<

                We discussed this very subject here on this list.  Sartre actually did not use that argument to conclude that God does not exist but only that if God exists then he is more like human beings.  The precedence of existence over essence can no more disprove the existence of God than it can disprove the existence of human beings, whose existence also preceeds their essence.

                Hi Chris:

                Only man has no essence prior to existence. Since if God was God, then God's essence would precede (logical and temporally) because creation is patterned after a model (this is stated in Timaeus as well as in Genesis). Therefore the consequence for Sartre was that God is 'man's project'. This I can agree on with you.....If man is the only creature that has existence prior to having an essence, then Man is to make God....this means that God is an artifact, since man cannot make creation; therefore the creator is an artifact of Man...

                This is rather funny but this is what happens when a thinker thinks only using logic, reason, and materialism as a founding of the founded.

                God is an animative and creative principle <arkhe>operating in the universe....there is no way that science can objectify some of these terms: infinite, whole, God, etc.; they are there as 'invariable' intellectual entities which are contemplated. If these objects, as mental objects, can be defined, then they can only be defined 'subjectively' as feeling or value (value is an intermediary of emotion and logic, or emotion and cognition).

                Categorial intuition is a modern way to describe how these entities appear to consciousness.

                Sartre confuses apparently the 'demiurgous' with God, Shiva and Shakti, or the Elohim, with God. These environmental factors that cause nature to be what she is, as dynamismo, as force, are the 'artifacts' or the 'operations' of moving nature which is 'variable' and 'changing' and so on. Each of the phenomenon in nature is a 'hypothesis invoking time, space, and so on and so forth'.....thus God is a hypothesis 'par excellence' if there are operative  in nature the elohim, pscyhic states (enties) of shiva and shakti.

                Y our use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Sartre homepage: http://www.Sartre.org.uk/

                <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search/?keyword=Jean-Paul+Sartre&tag=donaldrobertson">Click here to purchase books by Jean-Paul Sartre -in association with Amazon (US).</A>

              • Glenn Scheper
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2001
                  > Sartre actually did not use that argument to conclude
                  > that God does not exist but only that if God exists
                  > then he is more like human beings.

                  I've only begun with Sartre, but have some independent
                  experiences on that topic. I'll just start right in...

                  When the correct referents are supplied, the god being(s)
                  which have been acquainted to us by all religions, myths
                  and folklore actually refer to human beings, who differ
                  according to gender, environmental factors, and especially
                  their various stages and combinations of development in
                  a small number of self-reflexive sacral-erotic fetishes.
                  Certain of these types dominate all religious exposition.

                  I have had a very fortuitous combination of experiences,
                  weathering the mental illness several years that prevents
                  most of us from expositing my "hypermasculine" discourse.

                  After all such is cleared away (and I wish somebody would
                  help!) the scriptures don't have much left to say about
                  cosmogeny, only their self-interested views on theogony.

                  My whole viewpoint is contained in one longish web essay, an
                  html file placed in a zip file to avoid censorship concerns:
                  http://www.hughes.net/~scheper/theword.zip
                  The Word of God; The Production of Christ.

                  It is my ever ongoing project. Today, it starts out like this:

                  Autofe------ and autocu--------- are a dominant cultural icon, and
                  sufficient to explain nearly all religio-mythic stories of divine
                  distinction and transcendence: discovery, fall, naming, election,
                  eating god, death, metamorphosis, repentence, translation, rebirth,
                  god birth, indwelling, sacredness, god act.

                  The dominant cultural icon is tabooed. However, once demonstrated,
                  it is salient, like Edgar Allan Poe's purloined letter. This icon
                  is so pervasive, that it cannot help but be recognized by persons
                  who stumble upon it, activating this cultural booby-trap, falling
                  like Alice into Lewis Carroll's wonderland.

                  The domain surrounding this icon is so severely repressed from our
                  consciousness awareness, that it parades before us, mocking us in
                  Carl Jung's collective unconscious. Religion exceedingly glorifies
                  it in the occult, but poisons the very apple lest anyone report it.

                  It inspired Franz Kafka to write the Metamorphosis, for initially
                  all experiencers of this condition are ostracized with a universal
                  unconditional negative regard (by contrast to Carl Roger's phrase,
                  unconditional positive regard (love), his necessary condition for
                  a child to thrive. It is the fall, the unforgivable sin.

                  Those experiencers who survive madness, not as Shakespeare shewed
                  in Hamlet, but walking the tightrope across nihilism to become an
                  over-man, find new authenticity in this domain, as did Nietzsche.

                  I must put aside embarrassment to tell it, as said William Blake:
                  The stern
                  Bard ceas'd, asham'd of his own song; enrag'd he swung
                  His harp aloft sounding, then dash'd its shining frame against
                  A ruin'd pillar in glitt'ring fragments; silent he turn'd away.

                  Yet tell it I must, for that is the manifest destiny of this lamb.

                  Yours truly,
                  Glenn Scheper
                  scheper@...
                  http://www.hughes.net/~scheper/