Re: Psychotherapist

  • DJRNews@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
      In a message dated 31/10/99 6:39pm GMT Standard Time,
      Funchoice@... writes:

      << No, Don, I am not a psychotherapists, but I'm interested to hear that you
      lecture them. How does the Society for Existential Analysis differ from
      Psychosynthesis? >>

      Dear Charles,

      It was just a one off talk about philosophical counselling and
      psychotherapy, I do psychodynamic counselling myself not existential
      analysis. I don't know much about psychosynthesis, isn't it a very eclectic
      approach to psychotherapy with some sort of spiritual dimension? I have to
      say that I've only encountered it in the context of New Age mysticism etc.
      and that hasn't left me with a very good impression.
      Existential analysis seems to be an attempt to wed existential philosophy
      with a kind of humanistic orientation in psychotherapy. I think "existential
      analysis" is a slightly misleading name in a way because it might be argued
      that certain other forms of psychotherapy are as, if not more, influenced by
      existential philosophy.

      <<The philosophers I've talked to in this country have mostly told me that
      'there isn't much demand for Continental Philosophy'. Pah, humbug>>

      Yes, I find this notion very strange and not entirely representative. I
      studied at Aberdeen (philosophy) and Sheffield (psychoanalytic studies) and
      at both universities there was a great deal of interest in "Continental
      philosophy". Also, among psychotherapists in the UK I would say that I've
      encountered far more interest in Continental than in Anglo-American
      philosophy. So I feel there is much demand for Continental philosophy in the
      UK.

      All the best,

      Don.
    • FloRosof@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
        Dear Don,

        I am an existential psychotherapist and with a philosopher friend we have
        been trying to develop a philosophical psychotherapy for the past 25 years
        and it is still a work in process. I am very excited the perspective
        existential psychotherapy can offer in treatment. The people I treat have
        been very responsive. Just to let you know that this therapy seems to speak
        to everyday people. This fact alone, I fid very encouraging.

        A fellow searcher

        Flo Rosof
      • DJRNews@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
          In a message dated 1/11/99 9:02pm GMT Standard Time, FloRosof@... writes:

          <>

          We are nearing the end of our close reading of Sartre's Existentialism &
          Humanism, and I would like to suggest that next we discuss his chapter on
          phenomenology, psychoanalysis and emotions which is available on-line at this
          list's homepage. I think it would permit us to look in more detail at some
          of the philosophical issues relating to existential psychotherapy and
          psychoanalysis.

          All the best,

          Don.