Penrose severe on Polchinski & Witten

  • Jack Sarfatti
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      pp.892 - 897 basically Penrose implies that string theorists are hyping what in Silicon Valley is called "vaporware." That the claim that string theory predicts gravity is bogus - citing Polchinski & Witten as if they are used car salesmen in Tiajuana selling Mercedes with a Yugo engine under the hood. ;-)

      On Apr 30, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Jack Sarfatti wrote:

      Return from The Land of The Grateful Dead?

      The neutral massless spin 2 hadron gets a rest mass from a Higgs mechanism ODLRO secret symmetry.

      On Apr 30, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Jack Sarfatti wrote:

      bcc
      On Apr 30, 2006, at 8:08 PM, Mcmahon, David M wrote:

      Don't recall if you noticed this.

      http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0603112

      Thanks. It looks good. I am reading Penrose Ch. 31 On the Road to Reality ;-) on the same topic right now as a matter of fact. Actually, I am formulating an argument for old hadronic string theory without extra space dimensions.

      c^4/G* ~ 1 Gev/fermi

      No problem with point-like quarks and electrons from large space-warp in which the effective radius R ~ h/mc is much larger than circumference over 2pi.

      R >>  C/2pi

      i.e.

      2pi >> C/R ~ "scattering size of string"/Compton wavelength ---> 0 (point limit)  as the scattering momentum transfer increases - until of course a little strong finite-range  G* blackhole forms with Hawking radiation that we see as all sorts of particles coming out of the collision.

      Strings and black holes are sort of dual to each other anyway. Wheeler's geons as elementary particles made out of "marble" Weyl curvature works for Lp* ~ 1 fermi. The Weyl gravity energy is NONLOCAL - with a twistor basis. Micro-geons are Bohm's hidden variables. This is strong-short range macro-quantum geometrodynamics powered by dark energy that comes in two forms i.e., attractive positive and repulsive negative pressure.

      Abdus Salam invited me to ICTP in 1973 when I published a paper suggesting Kerr black hole microgeon explanation for universal slope Regge trajectories with Lp* ~ 1 fermi and massive strong graviton - f-meson spin 2.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
        Penrose's book is a 12 Step Program for recovering string theory addicts who have seemingly wasted their careers and our money on a mirage. ;-)

        In the course of citing Polchinski & Witten that superstring theory at ~ Planck scale is the only game in town to explain "quantum gravity" Penrose says that his reaction, and that of his "close colleagues" is "Very negative." He gives several excellent technical reasons. By analogy string theorists have to posit Ricci flatness Rab = 0 in 10 Dim. No wonder they cannot explain dark energy ~ /\zpf  that would be more like

        Rab - (1/2)gab/\zpfgab = 0 in 10 Dim

        But that is the least of the problems. There are too many degrees of freedom and string theory is basically perturbative (violating the generalized no action without reaction) although the duality arguments partially fix that - except in the important middle.