Cheating Bell's Inequality: entanglement without entanglement

  • JACK SARFATTI
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2011
    Now, Vadim Makarov (Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim), Christian Kurtsiefer (National University of Singapore), and their colleagues at both institutions have shown that they can violate Bell’s inequalities in a system that manifestly lacks entanglement, if they ignore one loophole or another.4 They use what they call faked states: classical pulses of light designed to trick the detectors into behaving as if they’re detecting single photons. The researchers point out that it’s unlikely that we’re all victims of a conspiracy to make it look like we’re observing quantum entanglement when we’re not, but that a loophole-free Bell test is still a desirable goal. And the same groups have done related work on a system in which deliberate deception is a serious issue: hacking the quantum key distribution of quantum cryptography systems.