Dr. Quantum: Jonathan Vos Post's supplement to John Baez's Crackpot Index

  • JACK SARFATTI
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Ye olde Facebook <notification+m554xnnr@...>
      Date: November 1, 2010 8:05:42 AM PDT
      To: Jack Sarfatti <adastra1@...>
      Subject: Jonathan Vos Post flapped gums 'bout yours recent Tales

      Jonathan Vos Post flapped gums 'bout yours recent Tales

      Jonathan scrawled
      Jack, it was off the top of my head, but was approximately the below, with big error bars. Many conferences of scientific organizations have a "crackpot session" where all the questionable interdisciplinary paper authors are stuffed into one room, and not allowed to contaminate the conventional peer-reviewed establishment. There are 3 broad categories of crackpots, and there is nonzero mobility between them.

      (1) Some people have psychiatric need to attack an intellectual father figure -- Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, George Cantor.  It is more important for them to think they're Oedipally proving the father wrong, than to contribute anything worthy.  Anti-Einsteinians, Anti-Darwinist, Anti-Cantorians. Their "proofs" almost invariably attack straw men, rather than theories as published, and lack rigor. It is nearly impossible to get these people to see what their nemesis genuinely wrote, in context.  Einstein admitted in 1906 that his 1905 Special Relativity was wrong, and set to work on General Relativity.  Darwin didn't know Mendel, and one should read about the Neodarwinian Synthesis. Cantor was arguably crazy at the end of his life, claiming that he didn't need proofs because God told him the answers (but so did Ramanujan, for his village Goddess, and Ramanujan was decades ahead of everyone else).

      (2) There are people classified as crackpots who actually make interesting, original, and testable hypotheses.  Suppose 1% of the anti-establishment figures do have an idea worthy of serious consideration?  Diamonds scattered in the parking lot gravel. For example, a retired Aerospace Engineer told me his New Aether Theory.  First, since he was buying me dinner, I listened.  Second, I verified that he had read the serious papers of Aether experts pre-1890, and of the Michelson–Morley experiment as performed in 1887 by Albert Michelson and Edward Morley at what is now Case Western Reserve University. Then I asked HOW the Earth could freely move through something trillions of times more rigid than steel.  He said: "The luminiferous Aether is a Superfluid."  I don't believe he'd read Jack Sarfatti's work on a Supersolid Aether, but at least this was a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, and thus the start of real Science.  We do know something about quantization of vorticity in superfluids.  Let's do the experiment, eh?

      (3) I am therefore willing to listen with an open mind to people considered crackpots, because I think that (2) above is, as Jack suggests, better called "Fringe."  Mind you, I'm usually not the guy to build the experiment.  I often suggest the conceptual design of the experiment.  I'm a Theoretical Mad Scientist.  The Fringe needs to collaborate with Applied Mad Scientists. Sadly, they never listen to my replies as carefully as I listened to their pet Theory, and not one has gone on to test their ideas with my tests, either as gedankenexperiment nor with real hardware.  Yet I don't give up.  Someone castigated and rejected may in fact have the basis for a Stardrive.  Let History determine that.

      [cue orchestra]:

      They All Laughed Lyrics by George Gershwin

      "The odds were a hundred to one against me
      The world thought the heights were too high to climb
      But people from Missouri never incensed me
      Oh, I wasn't a bit concerned
      For from histry I had learned
      How many, many times the worm had turned
      They all laughed at Christopher Columbus
      When he said the world was round
      They all laughed when Edison recorded sound
      They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother
      When they said that man could fly
      They told Marconi
      Wireless was a phony
      Its the same old cry
      They laughed at me wanting you
      Said I was reaching for the moon
      But oh, you came through
      Now they'll have to change their tune
      They all said we never could be happy
      They laughed at us and how!
      But ho, ho, ho!
      Who's got the last laugh now?
      They all laughed at Rockefeller center
      Now they're fighting to get in
      They all laughed at Whitney and his cotton gin
      They all laughed at Fulton and his steamboat
      Hershey and his chocolate bar
      Ford and his misery
      Kept the laughers busy
      That's how people are
      They laughed at me wanting you
      Said it would be, "hello, goodbye."
      But oh, you came through
      Now they're eating humble pie
      They all said wed never get together
      Darling, lets take a bow
      For ho, ho, ho!
      Who's got the last laugh?
      He, hee, hee!
      Lets at the past laugh
      Ha, ha, ha!
      Who's got the last laugh now?"

      'Ave back at this 'ere e-bottle t'weigh in on these recent tales.

      T' spy on all th' parrots scratchin at th' door, stab the link below:
      http://www.facebook.com/n/?jack.sarfatti%2Fposts%2F125897867467903&mid=338d474G2ac4fac2G6ab158dG36&n_m=adastra1%40me.com

      Thank ye,
      Ye Olde Facebook Master Crew

      ___
      Find yer mateys from the me.com e-parrot on ye olde Facebook! Set sail for: http://www.facebook.com/find-friends/?ref=email

      http://www.facebook.com/o.php?k=84a3e7&u=717552322&mid=338d474G2ac4fac2G6ab158dG36
      Facebook, Inc. P.O. Box 10005, Palo Alto, CA 94303