Re: The meaning of "acceleration" in curved spacetime

  • JACK SARFATTI
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
      from upper East Side Manhattan
      On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:20 PM, Paul Zielinski wrote:

      Your idea that the coordinate chart of a static "hovering" observer in the SSS problem automatically changes when the
      source mass changes is just wrong, that's what.

      That's NOT what I have been telling you!

      If you write

      LC' - LC = G    Levi-Civita eq 2

      and claim that G is a local quantity - a GCT tensor G(x) as in Rovelli's group iii

      then you must have

      LC'(x) & LC(x) also as local quantities at same x

      x here is an objective event not a bare manifold point as in Rovelli's

      Now in order for Levi-Civita eq 2 to make physics sense, it needs to make sense in all representations.

      In particular let's freely select static LNIF observers (analogous to a gauge constraint)

      Their radially outward acceleration g needed to keep them at fixed r is

      g(r) = - (c^2rs/r^2)(1 - rs/r)^-1/2

      you propose to change rs to rs'

      if you want to keep g(r) invariant then r ---> r' =/= r

      g(r) = g(r')

      if you want to keep r invariant then g(r) ---> g'(r) =/= g(r)

      in either case you lose. You are comparing apples to oranges.