CodePINK in the news!

  • Lauren
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      http://www.nytimes. com/2008/ 02/01/us/ 01berkeley. html?scp=
      1&sq=code+ pink&st=nyt

      http://washingtonti mes.com/article/ 20080131/ METRO/648383854
    • marklbinder
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
        neither of these links work...is this the article you post?

        http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_8127493

        Berkeley gives Marines the boot
        City Council says recruiting station not welcome; military mum for now
        By Doug Oakley, STAFF WRITER
        Article Created: 01/31/2008 02:42:43 AM PST

        Click photo to enlarge Anti-war protestors outside the Marine recruiting
        office on Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley...
        a.. «
        b.. 1
        c.. »

        FORUM
        a.. Join a reader discussion about Berkeley's ban on the Marine recruiting
        center

        Related
        a.. Berkeley bans Marine recruiting office
        b.. Update: Berkeley mayor offers to help Marines leave
        c.. Demonstrators face off on Iraq in BerkeleyBERKELEY - Hey-hey, ho-ho,
        the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
        That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 6-3, with
        Gordon Wozniak, Betty Olds and Kriss Worthington dissenting, to tell the
        Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the
        city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and
        unwelcome intruders."

        It also voted 7-2, with Wozniak and Olds dissenting, to explore enforcing
        its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
        against the Marines and to encourage the women's peace group Code Pink to
        protest in front of the station.

        In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated
        parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months
        and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

        Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.

        The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having
        moved from Alameda in December 2006. For about the past four months, Code
        Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

        "I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they
        shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates
        said after votes were cast.

        A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment.The
        resolution telling the Marines they are unwelcome and directing the city
        attorney to explore issues of sexual orientation discrimination was brought
        to the council by the city's Peace and Justice commission.

        The recommendation to give Code Pink a parking space for protesting and a
        free sound permit was brought by council members Linda Maio and Max
        Anderson.

        Code Pink on Wednesday started circulating petitions to put a measure on the
        November ballot in Berkeley that would make it more difficult to open
        military recruiting offices near homes, parks, schools, churches libraries
        or health clinics. The group needs 5,000 signatures to make the ballot.

        Even though the council items passed, not everyone is happy with the work of
        Code Pink. Some employees and owners of businesses near the Marines office
        have had enough of the group and its protests.

        "My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering
        on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

        An employee of a nearby business who asked not to be identified said
        Wednesday the elderly Code Pink protesters are aggressive, take up parking
        spaces, block the sidewalk with their yoga moves, smoke in the doorways, and
        are noisy.

        "Most of the people around here think they're a joke," the woman said.

        Wozniak said he was opposed to giving Code Pink a parking space because it
        favors free speech rights of one group over another.

        "There's a line between protesting and harassing, and that concerns me,"
        Wozniak said. "It looks like we are showing favoritism. We have to respect
        the other side, and not abuse their rights. This is not good policy."

        Fran Rachel, 90, a Code Pink protester who spoke at the council meeting,
        said the group's request for a parking space and noise permit was especially
        important because the Marines are recruiting soldiers who may die in an
        unjust war.

        "This is very serious," Rachel said. "This isn't a game; it's mass murder.
        There's a sickness of silence of people not speaking out against the war. We
        have to do this."

        Anderson, a former Marine who said he was "drummed out" of the corps when he
        took a stand against the Vietnam War, said he'd love to see the Marines
        high-tail it out of town.

        "We are confronted with an organization that can spend billions of dollars
        on propaganda," Anderson said. "This is not Okinawa here; we're involved in
        a naked act of aggression. If we can provide a space for ordinary people to
        express themselves against this kind of barbarity, then we should be doing
        it."