Info for next CP Gaza trip thru Egypt

  • CODEPINK Deidra
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2009
      Dear Friends,

      In March, a 60-person CODEPINK delegation traveled to Gaza to pay tribute on International Women’s Day to the sorely neglected mothers, daughters, sisters and wives who are struggling to hold their families together. We witnessed the terrible destruction from the 22-day Israeli invasion; met with inspiring human rights, health and women’s organizations; and delivered 1,000 gift baskets to women who told stories of profound personal loss.

      The people of Gaza greeted us with love and appreciation, and asked us to return with more delegations. We listened, and our next “expedition” will be from May 28-June 5. We will travel, via Egypt, at the invitation of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) and our focus, this time, will be on the children of Gaza. Children make up more than half of Gaza’s population, and this next generation – who will help decide the future of the region – is struggling with extraordinarily high rates of malnutrition, homelessness and depression.

      Of course, there is always the possibility that the Egyptian government won’t let us cross the border—in fact, many individuals and delegations have been denied entry. In that case, we plan to set up an encampment near the border to call attention to the need to open the borders and end the siege of Gaza.

      See more details below. For more information or to sign up, contact gaza.codepink@... or call 415-558-5700. Space is limited, so contact us asap.  We also are planning a Jewish delegation to enter Gaza through the Israeli crossing, and are facilitating the entry and participation of groups from other organizations in the following weeks.

      So, spread the word. We hope you will join us!

      Sincerely,
      Tighe Barry, Medea Benjamin, Gael Murphy, Pam Rasmussen, Ann Wright
      The CODEPINK Gaza Team

      Building a Better Future for the Children of Gaza
      Delegation from May 28-June 5
      Itinerary:
          Meet in Cairo, Egypt, on May 28
          Travel to Gaza on May 29
          Meetings and programs in Gaza May 30-June 3
          Return to Cairo on June 4
          International delegates return home on June 5

      Cost: $600 from Cairo, including transportation, lodging in Gaza, translation, program, some meals and contributions to local groups. Not included: hotel in Cairo, visas, border fees.

      Program: Meetings with UN program staff, humanitarian and development agencies, teachers, students, health workers and political analysts. Visits to areas devastated by Israeli attacks. Participation in building of a children’s playground/painting a mural.

      Purpose of the trip
      : Provide support to children and children’s organizations in Gaza; exert pressure on United States, Egyptian and Israeli governments to lift the blockade and promote peace, reconstruction and human rights in the region.

      Organizers: The trip is organized by the U.S.-based peace group CODEPINK. Sponsoring groups include National Congress of Black Women, Global Exchange, Voices for Creative Nonviolence, American Muslim Voice and Women's Intercultural Network.

      --
      Orlando UU Economic Crisis Support: http://ouuecs.blogspot.com/
      To join and post your thoughts: