End The Wars and Build the Future we Know is possible - Tent City this summer!

  • Adam Roca
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2008
      n the spirit of May Day where we protested something we think is incredibly fucked up, but at the same time came together and made a public street a truly openand public space, folks should think about extending this action beyond today.

      I am really interested in doing this over the summer. Please contact me if you are interested and we can all start working out the details together. Check it out: http://www.consensus.net/tent_city_protest.html

      END THE WARS AND BUILD THE FUTURE WE KNOW IS POSSIBLE

      JOIN THE TENT CITY PROTEST AND BRING PEACE AND JUSTICE TO OUR WORLD

      END THE OCCUPATIONS, CLIMATE CHANGE, TORTURE AND STOP BUSH'S THREAT OF WORLD WAR III

      We can start building a world with peace, healthcare, education, food, housing, a safe environment, and democracy. Experience the power of nonviolent social change and the joy of building a community of resisitance.

      Students and activists are starting to make plans for a summer of Tent City Protest to stop the U.S. attack on Iran, to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan while showing that we can create world free from domination, coercion and violence. Thousands of people are making plans to set up a tent city outside the White House and Capital Buildings in Washington D.C, as soon as final exams are over this May. Food Not Bombs has been asked to provide food and logistics. Activists are also planning to organize Tent City Protests outside military installations, federal buildings and U.S. embassies. All peace and social action groups are invited to join in the tent city protest.

      There is a vigorous debate about what strategy might work to end the crisis caused by the war on terrorism. Rallies, marches and petitions haven't done enough to stop torture, secret prisons, the use of Cluster Bombs against civilians, wire tapping and data collection, laws such as the Military Commissions Act and the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. At the same time actions to protect the environment healthcare, education and housing haven't been successful. One strategy that has proven effective had bringing positive social change has been the tent city protest.

      Food Not Bombs volunteers have participated in a number of successful tent city actions. In 1989 San Francisco Food Not Bombs provided meals 24 hours a day at a 27 day tent city protest for the rights of the homeless. The city government opened a shelter, a hotel and reduced the use of police to attempt to drive homeless people out of sight. Food Not Bombs volunteers provided meals to protesters at the tent city protest outside the Ukrainian Parliament during the Orange Revolution. The tent city caused the Prime Minister to step down. Food Not Bombs shared meals with activists at 300 day tent city action at a protest to support farmers at Bosnia and Herzegovina Square in Sarajevo. For thirty days Food Not Bombs volunteers organized the kitchen, collected food and cooked meals for the protesters a Cindy Sheehan's Camp Casey outside Bush's Ranch in Crawford, Texas. Many local Food Not Bombs chapters are talking with other activists to start planning this summer's tent city. We can start living in the world we know is possible by living together in peaceful, democratically organized tent city communities. To report on your plans please sign up for our global action list serv < at fnb-network@... >
      At no time have we faced such an urgent crisis. Bush is talking of a World War against Iran using nuclear weapons, the global economy is failing for most, climate change continues to grow and the U.S. empire is using every measure possible to protect its power. Please visit these site to learn more about why we need to participate in the tent city protest. Join us in participating in the creation of the cooperative future we know is possible.