Sant Mat Rearch: We Are All One, the Opposite of "Not One Of Us"

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      We Are All One, the Opposite of "Not One Of Us"

      By James Bean

      Copyright December 2006

      Meditation Sangat:
      {"Do not live even a single day without inner
      meditation." -- Baba Devi Sahab}

      One of the most mysterious passages recorded in the New Testament:

      "'Teacher', said John, 'we saw a man driving out demons in your Name
      and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.'

      "'Do not stop him,' Jesus said. 'No one who does a miracle in my Name
      can in the next moment say anything bad about me, for whoever is not
      against us is for us.'" (Mark 9: 38+39)

      One can wonder who this mystery person was and what group he belonged
      to, since the disciples had apparently never heard of him. There is a
      passage somewhere in the New Testament which says, "I have sheep not
      of this fold", also implying multiple groups or disciples, more than
      one "true" group of devotees out there somewhere, in other words.

      The initial reaction of the disciples is quite typical -- human
      nature. Some things never change. "Same as it ever was" (line from a
      Talking Heads tune). I've seen people react this way many
      times: ".....We told him to stop, because he was not one of us."

      I was given a video tape once from someone in Oregon. They said it
      was from Kirpal Singh's group, Sant Mat. I watched this video, but
      none of the faces looked familiar to me. None of the names, buildings
      or the locations looked familiar either. It was like seeing a satsang
      in a parallel universe or meeting "cousins" you didn't know you had.
      It was at a place called Kirpal Sagar ("Ocean of Kirpal"). Eventually
      I discovered that this was a gathering in India at a school
      associated with an initiate of Master Kirpal who said he was told by
      Master Kirpal to look after this school and satsang center. It was a
      different branch of Ruhani Satsang that did not join with any living
      Guru after the passing of Master Kirpal Singh in 1974.

      According to Ruhani Satsang there were thirty six teachers that
      emerged after the passing of Master Kirpal who claimed to be his
      spiritual successor: 36! Most of these teachers are not known to us
      in the West but have ashrams or small satsangs in various parts of

      With Sant Mat, and with most spiritual paths, East and West, there is
      an etiquette of focusing upon your teacher. Each satsang is
      associated with a certain guru. Only his photographs will be
      displayed at such gatherings, or those of previous gurus in the same
      lineage of teachers.

      Quite often in many groups there is an ethos that their teacher is
      the "one-and-only" competent living guru of the present time, that
      usually there is "only one" such teacher or "gurumukh" spiritual
      successor at a time on earth. I think of this, not so much a
      statement of fact pertaining to history, but more of a "bhakti"
      or "devotional truth" for the satsangi. Having a spiritual Master is
      sorta like marriage, as it should be. Spiritual promiscuity doesn't
      seem desirable and has not been a successful approach that leads to
      any sort of enlightenment. As one teacher used to say, "Better to dig
      one deep well and hit water than to keep digging dozens of shallow
      holes in the ground getting nothing, seeking but never finding." Your
      teacher is your "one-and-only", so to speak.

      In terms of Sant Mat history however, there has never been a time
      during the last several centuries when there was "only one" Satguru
      in the world in the Sant tradition. There have been examples of
      multiple lineages of Masters contemporary with one another since at
      least the time of Kabir and Guru Nanak in the fifteenth century. Both
      Guru Kabir and Guru Nanak appointed gurus to be their spiritual
      successors, each existing contemporary with one another, the Ten Sikh
      Gurus in one line of Masters and the successors of Guru Kabir in
      another. Kabir Panth soon branched out into many, many lineages.

      At the same time the Tenth Sikh Guru (Gobind Singh) was alive, was
      another Sant with same name. Who was the Master who initiated this
      other Gobind Singh? I am not sure. That is probably a mystery lost to
      forever to history. This other Gobind Singh was the Master who
      initiated Sant Paltu Sahib (1710-1780), who became a well-known
      Master. Paltu's mystic hymns are still popular in India even now.

      Meet Dariya Sahib, Saint of Bihar

      Dariya was born in 1674 and passed in 1780. At the age of sixteen
      Dariya was initiated into Surat Shabd Yoga by a Sant Mat guru. He
      eventually became a very powerful Master and founded the Dariya
      panth, a spiritual movement with a large number of ashrams and
      satsangs all over India with many followers. Dariya appointed two
      spiritual successor gurus to carry on after him. Their names were
      Guna Das and Teka Das. Eventually Guna Das died so Teka Das became
      the guru of the entire sangat.

      Tulsi Sahib, Saint of Hathras

      Tulsi was born in 1763 and passed on in 1843. He would have been in
      his teens when Dariya was still alive. Early in his life Tulsi did
      extensive traveling around India. In the book, "Tulsi Sahib -- Saint
      of Hathras", it states: "Tulsi Sahib's works include words and
      expressions of Sanskrit, Arabic, and Persian ..... Marathi .... he
      has freely used words of Braj, Avadhi, Rajasthani (Marwari), Gujrati,
      Punjabi and Maithili, which leads one to conclude that, like many
      other Saints, he must have traveled widely in U.P., Rajasthan,
      Gujrat, Punjab and BIHAR." It is my theory that Tulsi might have
      received initiation into Sant Mat meditation from Tika Das while he
      was in Bihar. There's no way to know at this time, though I am
      sending this question to a guru in the Tulsi lineage who has an
      ashram center in Bihar, hoping to get his views about Tulsi's guru,
      and my theory about Tika Das being his guru. Tulsi said he had a
      guru, but this teacher is not named in any of the writings that have
      survived. We'll see what this Master from Bihar thinks of my Tika Das
      theory and some of the other theories about who Tulsi's guru might
      have been.

      Back to Tulsi: Tulsi Sahib eventually established a satsang in
      Hathras, where he initiated souls into Surat Shabd Yoga. And his
      mission was contemporary with Tika Das's mission in Bihar. At the
      present time there are still gurus in the lineage of Tulsi Sahib
      leading satsangs and initiating souls in Hathras, Bihar and other
      places around India. The same is also true in the Dariya Sahib branch
      of Sant Mat. Tika Das appointed guru successors. That lineage is
      still with us even now. According to Domain Singh, webmaster of the
      Dariya Sahib Website, there are "two hundred Saints" presiding over
      various ashram centers in the Dariya sangat at present.

      From the book, Dariya Sahib -- Saint of Bihar, we read: "It was also
      made clear by Dariya Sahib that these successors would have the right
      to appoint their own successors and that is how the order would
      continue. On being asked by Fakkar Das, his brother, how long this
      order would continue Dariya Sahib replied that as long as the
      practice of the Sound Current remained central to the discipline, and
      the order kept pure and free from external rituals and formalism, the
      line would continue. When the practice of the Sound Current is
      mingled with outer appearances (bhekh) and external rituals, the
      Sound Current (Shabd) will part company. Then the power transmitted
      by me, said Dariya, will leave, and the souls will go into the mouth
      of Kal. At that stage, he would come to this world and start a line
      of the Sound Current once again. This is how, he said, he had been
      coming for aeons.

      "Thus, having explained everything and all aspects of the saintly
      mission, and having fulfilled the purpose of his life, he passed on
      his responsibilities to his successors and departed from this world
      in ..... 1780."

      One devotee of Param Sant Tulsi Sahib was Shiv Dayal Singh of Agra.
      Tulsi was the guru of Shiv Dayal's family. After the death of Tulsi
      Sahib, Shiv Dayal Singh along with several others became gurus, in
      and outside of, the sangat of Tulsi Sahib: Baba Devi Sahab, Surswami,
      Radhaswami, Girdhari Das, and Ramkrishna. One branch of the Tulsi
      Sahibi group refers to Shiv Dayal as "Sant Radhaswami Sahib."

      Due to not desiring to write an entire chapter here, I will rap
      things up here, only mentioning in passing, that there were many
      recognized Saints/Sant Satgurus part of Swami Ji's inner circle in
      Agra. The Sant Mat "Family Tree" branches out dramatically in all
      directions ever further after the time of Swami Ji Maharaj, Huzur
      Maharaj Rai Saligram, Gharib Das, Bagga Singh, Deva Singh, Partap
      Singh, Sanmukh Das, Data Dayal Shiv Brat Lal, Baba Faqir Chand, Baba
      Jaimal Singh, Huzur Baba Sawan Singh, Kirpal Singh ..............

      Of course, I have only written briefly about a few of the "Northern
      Sant" lineages. There is another major branch to the south, the so-
      called "Southern Sants", such as Sant Tukarama and numerous Sant
      lineages of Maharashtra. Typically, the Northern Sants are closer to
      Sufism and further away from the Vaishnava tradition to some degree.
      The Southern Sants however seem closer to the Gita, Krishna and
      Vaishnava. The Hari Krishnas claim Mirabai, Tukarama, Ravidas, and a
      few other Sants as their own - Saints in their tradition. At the same
      time as there were Northern Sant lineages of gurus, contemporary with
      those are many more operating to the south in India.

      Tulsi Sahib was of the opinion that Sant Mat dates back to the time
      of Krishna thousands of years ago, and that Krishna knew of Sants in
      India back then during the time of the composition of the Bhagavad

      When has there ever been "only one" Sant Mat guru or "Gurumukh
      successor" "of the time" in Sant Mat history? The answer is: never
      has there been only one guru at a time.

      Another general principle of Sant Mat history is: the more we know,
      the more the numbers go up. In other words, the more familiar we
      become with the various paths in the Sant Mat category, the more
      gurus and ashrams and branches we shall discover. A few years back,
      some were saying that there must be "around two hundred" gurus and
      groups in India in the Sant Mat category. Based on my continued
      research, I would say that is a very low number!

      Paraphrasing Guru Nanak's Jap Ji:

      Countless are the gurus,
      Countless the gaddis,
      Countless the satsangs,
      Countless are the Sant Mats,
      Countless are the satsangis.

      Of course these groups are not all the same. There are several stages
      groups might pass through during their history. Some may be in
      the "alive" category, with both guru and disciple having inner
      experiences, radiant forms, inner regions experienced and not simply
      theories and teachings found only in books. There are groups that
      lost their living guru in recent times and there was no successor,
      thus no new people are getting initiated in those groups. There is
      one very large group which has become a world religion that worships
      a book as a kind of guru. Ironically, that very same book says to NOT
      worship books! idols made of stone, places of pilgrimage, holy
      rivers, etc... There are groups where nobody is having inner
      experiences. Those usually don't focus so much on a living Master,
      and their magazines tend to feature quotes from gurus who lived many
      decades earlier, in the 1940's, 1930's, 1920's or 1520's.

      There have been a couple highly unethical teachers, false, "of Kal",
      hurting people, with dead bodies buried in the "backyard" and abused
      members coming forward to tell their story. There have been many
      honest, loving, radiant, Godly beings that have graced this planet
      with their enlightened compassion. There have been Sadhus with some
      attainment that have helped the souls that have crossed their path.
      Nothing wrong with that. There have been nice-guy gurus without much
      attainment, but who have helped to make the world a better place by
      spreading SOME of the teachings and ethical ahimsa principals of the
      Masters to larger audiences around the world.

      In other words, amongst this long list of paths will be found groups
      representing many different states and stages of development,
      vibrancy and decline, some alive, some slowly becoming another
      religion looking to the past for inspiration, with past Saints and
      Prophets -- a new "People of the Book" with temples and holy relics.
      And there are some that have souls who do go within and successfully
      practice Surat Shabd Yoga in a way that is almost identical to the
      Ideal spiritual path described by Swami Ji of Agra, with a rich
      mystical approach to meditation practice, traveling quite far along
      in their journey back to God. For them, these teachings of Sant
      Satgurus are not just "talk" or "myth" or "belief" or about
      a "hypothesized" Higher Self, but very real experiences that human
      beings can attain, seeing with their own eyes, hearing with their own
      ears, traveling through Inner Space, "the Kingdom of the Heavens

      Several Charts of Lineages

      Upanishadic Sants in Ancient Times? jpg:

      Param Sant Tulsi Sahib and those after him in Hathras, Agra, and

      Sant Mat Lineage of Gurus, Swami Ji to Baba Jaimal Singh, Beas, Sawan
      Kirpal and Ruhani Mission, Chart, From "Radhasoami Reality", by Mark

      Sant Mat Lineage of Gurus, Swami Ji to Agra Radhaswami Branches,
      Chart.jpg, From "Radhasoami Reality", by Mark Juergensmeyer:

      Sant Mat Lineage of Gurus, Tulsi Sahib and Agra, ChartTwo.jpg, From
      an Early Version of David Lane's Book, "Radhasoami Mat":

      Sant Mat Lineage of Gurus, Huzur Maharaj -- Rai Saligram-related Agra
      Branches, ChartThree.jpg, From an Early Version of David Lane's
      Book, "Radhasoami Mat":

      Sant Mat Lineage of Gurus, Baba Jaimal Singh, Sawan-Kirpal, Somanath,
      Mastana Ji, Tarn Taran, ChartFour.jpg, From an Early Version of David
      Lane's Book, "Radhasoami Mat":

      Kabir Panth Chart of Lineages, "The Influence of Sat Kabir", Angle

      Kabir Panth Chart of Lineages, "The Influence of Sat Kabir", Angle

      This is Not a Complete List -- Partial List of Sant Mat Paths On the
      Worldwide Web

      These would be paths that teach Surat Shabd Yoga, and use all the
      familiar terms: "Satguru", "Satsang", "Sat Lok, "Sach Khand", "Sound
      Current", "Audible Lifestream", "tishra
      til", "astral", "causal", "Sat
      Purush", "Kal", "simran", "Naam", "Shabd," ...................

      Maharshi Mehi Ashram (Tulsi Sahibi):

      Maharshi Mehi Ashram (Tulsi Sahibi):

      Sant Dariya Sahib Website:

      Akhil Bhartiya Santmat Satsang (ABSS):

      Kirpal Singh

      Sant Ji:

      ADI GRANTH -- Sikh Gurus, Khalsa Consensus Translation:

      Mastana Ji Website:

      Divya Jyoti Jagrati Sansthan -- Shri Ashutosh Ji Maharaj:

      Dharamdasi Kabir Panth:

      Anurag Sagar of Kabir Panth Online, as PDF Files:

      Kabir Ashram.org:

      Kabir Chawra Math on Varanasi
      Kabir Bhavan.com:

      Puan Brahm Satapurush Sahib Kabir Ji:
      Knowlege about Satapush Kabir Saheb Ji:

      Shri Kabir Counsel:

      One of several groups connected with Mastana Ji, disciple of Huzur
      Baba Sawan Singh:

      Shri Anandpur: Shri Paramhans Advait Mat Granth 1:

      Shabd Pratap Ashram:

      Sadhu Ram:

      Sadhu Ram:

      Soami Bagh Branch:

      Agam P. Mathur (DadaJi), Huzuri Bhawan, Pipal Mandi, New Website:

      Dayal Bagh:

      Baba Faqir Chand -- Harjit Singh Branch:

      Baba Faqir Chand: Manavta Mandir.com:

      Baba Faqir Chand: New Website: Shoonyo.com:

      Jyoti Meditation.org:
      Hindi and English Online Videos:

      Darshan Singh Website:

      Dera Baba Teja Singh Saidpur:

      Jagat Singh Website:

      RSSB Books:

      Radhasoami Sahai (related to Dayal Bagh lineage):

      Radhasoami Satsang DINOD:

      RADHASOAMI: TARN TARAN: Dera Baba Bagga Singh:

      United Satsang.org:
      Shree Mentu Maharaj