A Course In Miracles Mysticism

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2006
      A Course In Miracles Mysticism

      By James Bean

      Copyright October 2006

      Meditation Sangat:

      The Sufi poet-mystic Rumi once said: "Rise above thy mental horizon,
      0 brave soul and listen to the call of Music coming from above."
      Often the difficulty spiritual seekers face is the very real danger
      of becoming stuck at one of the lower stages, or getting detoured
      somewhere along the way. One seemingly becomes unable to break free
      from the mental prison of one's own making, at the level of
      theoretical knowledge or belief, even though the original intent of
      the authors of countless sacred texts has been to guide us from
      doubt to faith, and from theoretical knowledge to our own direct,
      personal spiritual experience of the Divine, far beyond the realms
      of mind and matter. Living Schools of Spirituality, complete with
      living teachers and students, can be of great assistance to
      spiritual seekers as they are able to communicate spiritual guidance
      to their students about all the steps and stages necessary for the
      inward voyage of the soul on its way back to God. As one such living
      Master said to his students so very long ago: "What your own eyes
      cannot see, your human ears do not hear, your physical hands cannot
      feel, and what is inconceivable to the human mind---that I will give
      you!" (The Gospel of Thomas---Wisdom of the Twin, Lynn Bauman, White
      Cloud Press)

      Mystic-souls can find a vast amount of inspiration and wisdom in the
      Hebrew scriptures, Quran, New Testament, Jainist Sutras, Gathas of
      Zoroaster, and countless other world scriptures or spiritual
      classics, and this can also include, A Course In Miracles.

      Meditation in the Silence as a Way to Reach the Other Side of
      Silence (God)

      Meditation in the Bible: "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm
      46: 10) For centuries that has been a favorite passage of mystics,
      Quietists, Quakers, Gnostics, Beguines, Brethren of the Free Spirit,
      Cathars, and other lovers of the Beloved. An anonymous mystic of the
      Rhineland once described the process of contemplative meditation
      this way: "There is a speaking of God in the center of the soul
      where no creature can enter or speak, for only God lives there and
      only He speaks. God speaks there when the soul puts aside all
      thoughts and images of this creation, when she silences her powers
      and gains a vision into the foundation of her pure essence. In this
      pure and silent soul God the Father speaks and she hears His Voice."
      (Book of Spiritual Poverty) Or, as it says in that series of
      volumes known as, A Course In Miracles: "Listen in deep silence. Be
      very still and open your mind. Go past all the raucous shrieks and
      sick imaginings that cover your real thoughts and obscure your
      eternal link with God. Sink deep into the peace that waits for you
      beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this
      insane world. You do not live here. We are trying to reach your real
      home. We are trying to reach the place where you are truly welcome.
      We are trying to reach God." (ACIM, Workbook For Students, from
      Lesson 49) Master Kirpal Singh described meditation in the silence
      as a literal Doorway or Portal to the Divine Realm of Spirit and
      Truth: "In silence the heart illumines; veil after veil is
      removed......The human body is the temple of God. He is waiting
      there for you. That is why I ask you to look within, with a longing
      in your heart and silence in your soul. God will reveal himself to
      you. You will find him --- no, see him.....God is the Ocean of
      utmost and restful silence. So long as we cannot have this restful
      silence within us, the soul cannot listen to the Voice of silence
      arising out of the greatest depths of Silence. By following that
      Voice we can reach the Source and Fountainhead of the Great Silence
      called God and be blessed forever." (The Way of the Saints, Sant
      Bani Ashram, Sanbornton, New Hampshire)

      Meditation is not a new concept in the Western world. It's been with
      us the entire time. Take this rather Hindu-sounding passage in an
      extra-canonical scripture composed 2,000 years ago known as the Acts
      of Peter for example: "Give ear; withdraw your souls from all that
      appears but is not truly real; close these eyes if yours, close your
      ears, withdraw from actions that are outwardly seen; and you shall
      know the reality of Christ and the whole secret of your salvation."
      (The Other Bible, Willis Barnstone, Harper Collins) In recent times
      the same inwardly-focused message was reintroduced to many through
      the volumes of, A Course In Miracles.

      A Modern-day Gnostic Gospel

      A Course in Miracles was "scribed" through a process of inner
      dictation, says Dr. Helen Schucman. According to ACIM.org: "A
      clinical and research psychologist and tenured Associate Professor
      of Medical Psychology, Schucman was assisted by Dr. William
      Thetford, her department head, who was also a tenured Professor of
      Medical Psychology at the Medical Center where they both worked. A
      Course in Miracles was first published in 1975." This Course
      consists of three volumes: the Text, Workbook for Students, and the
      Manuel For Teachers. There is a book I think of as a kind of "fourth
      volume" of the Course called, The Gifts of God, a book of
      devotional poetry authored by Helen Schucman, and, like the Course,
      is published by the Foundation For Inner Peace. I think of "the
      Course" as a kind of modern-day Gnostic gospel, a mystical text that
      serves to renew the contemplative message for many people, playing
      the same role of spiritual catalyst or inspiration as revelations
      from earlier centuries did, such as the Gospel of Mary Magdalene or
      the Book of Pistis Sophia (Faith-Wisdom). Note: A great book
      comparing the Course with Gnostic spirituality is, Love Does Not
      Condemn, by Kenneth Wapnick, Foundation For A Course In Miracles.

      Seeing the Light Within --- Union With God by Contemplating His Light

      George Fox, founder of the Quakers, once said, "The Light of God is
      within everyone". Mystics, past and present, have often described
      visions of divine Light beyond the darkness, visible to one who
      concentrates deeply, reaching "the Single Eye", the eye of the soul.
      Sometimes mystics describe the Light of the soul as like a
      brilliant, radiant sun. "There is Light within a person of Light,
      and it illuminates the entire cosmos." (Gospel of Thomas, in the Nag
      Hammadi Library found in Egypt) "The Light of one soul is equal to
      that of sixteen suns!" (Guru Kabir) Some have marveled how such a
      treasury of Light, a galaxy of souls, can remain so veiled by the
      human condition in realms of dark matter and overcast skies.

      Yet, with another kind of sight we have the potential to
      discover: "There is a Light that this world cannot give.... This
      Light will attract you as nothing in this world can do. In shining
      peace within you is the perfect purity in which you were created.
      Fear not to look upon the lovely truth in you. Look past darkness to
      the holy place where you will see the Light." (Text, A Course In
      Miracles)

      "Do not cease seeking
      day or night until you
      find the mysteries of the
      Kingdom of Light, which will
      purify you, make you into pure
      Light and lead you into the
      Kingdom of the Light."
      (Gnostic Book of Pistis Sophia)

      Union With God by Contemplating His Sound --- A Melody from Far
      Beyond the World

      "Listen, and see if you remember an Ancient Song you knew so long
      ago and held more dear than any melody you taught yourself to
      cherish since." (A Course In Miracles)

      "Your Voice reminds me of an Ancient Song
      It was forgotten. Now I hear it again
      A Word I thought had been forever dead.
      (The Gifts of God)

      "Homeless are they
      Who would abide alone, apart from Me.
      Yet would I call them home. My Voice I send
      To sing in soundless places. Hear from Me
      The Song a Father sings to you, His child;
      A Melody from far beyond the world.
      Step back and listen, for He comes to bless
      And tell you that you are not comfortless

      "I walk in stillness. Where my rest is set
      Is Heaven. And the silence of the stars
      Sings in a soundless circle. For the Song
      Of Heaven is past hearing, and ascends
      Beyond the tiny range the ear can catch,
      And soars into a spaceless magnitude
      Where Sound and silence meet in unity."
      (Helen Schucman, The Gifts of God)

      Divine Grace compassionately comes to the rescue of souls, busting
      into worlds of law, time and space. The Divine Light and Sound of
      the Spirit guides souls safely through the "wilderness" of various
      planes of creation, so that we may return to this Promised Land or
      Paradise, the Forgotten Eternal State that is our True Home.

      The Soul Wrapped in Garments of Sleep

      We are soul wearing a mind, wearing a body. Our true identity is not
      the body we happen to be wearing; our true identity is soul. We are
      the Observer, the one who sees the Light and hears the Sound. We are
      the Life emanating from the Place of Life that powers body and mind.

      Repeating an affirmation that "I am free" is a noble beginning
      perhaps, but we must come to know the reality of this freedom. The
      goal of mysticism is for us to transcend all these "veils" of
      creation, bodies and subtle bodies, five senses, mind and matter,
      and know our Self as soul experientially via a daily spiritual
      practice (meditation). In our awareness we come to know the
      foundation of our pure essence. We discover that during our
      perceived exile in the labyrinth of separateness lost somewhere in
      time, Truth be told, we are soul and are already in heaven --- we
      never left! Where else would the soul, the child of the Father, be
      other than the soul-realm, the Place of Life? This is the Secret of
      Secrets.

      Kabir says, "You have slept for millions of years. This morning,
      will you not wake?" Give birth to yourself in the womb of silence.
      Close your eyes, see and hear within, "rise above thy mental
      horizon", examine yourself, discover who you really are, know, come
      to be.

      "Gone is the dream. Awake, My child, in love."
      (The Gifts of God)

      "The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you;
      Don't go back to sleep.
      You must ask for what you really want;
      Don't go back to sleep.
      People are going back and forth across the doorsill
      Where the two worlds touch.
      The door is round and open.
      Don't go back to sleep." (Rumi, Sufi Master)

      "Within a Radiance prepared for you
      Before time was and far beyond its reach,
      Be still and know.
      (The Gifts of God)

      ////////