Know Thyself -- New Book: The Bijak of Guru Kabir, Volume 2, Shabdas

  • santmat_mystic ( James )
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2006
      New Book: The Bijak of Guru Kabir, Volume 2, Shabdas

      Meditation Sangat:
      {"This world is illusion. Death and birth are inevitable.
      Meditate!" -- Last Words of Baba Devi Sahab
      KABIR:

      Know Thyself

      "When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will
      realize that it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if
      you do not know yourselves, then you will be in a state of poverty,
      and it is you you will be the poverty."n (Yeshua, Gospel of Thomas)

      [NEW BOOK] "The Bijak of Guru Kabir, Volume 2, Shabdas -- The
      Mystical Teachings of Guru Kabir", By Dr. Jagessar Das, published by
      the Kabir Association of Canada, #208 - 14770 64th Avenue, Surrey,
      B.C. Canada, V3S 1X7
      Website:
      http://www.members.shaw.ca/kabirweb

      Kabir:

      0 soul! You have forgotten your Self!

      Just as a dog in a house of mirrors is fooled, and barks and barks
      at himself and dies;

      Just as a lion seeing its own reflection in a well and, thinking it
      is another lion, jumps in,

      Just so an elephant seeing itself in a shiny slab of stone pierces
      it tusk at it.

      The monkey because of greed for the tasty morsel, does not loosen
      its grip and is made to play tricks from house to house;

      Kabir says: "0 Dear Parrot! You're in the trap; who has entrapped
      you?"

      Commentary:

      In this Shabda Guru Kabir is talking about a person who does not
      recognize that he is the soul, the seat of consciousness. He thinks
      he is the physical body; thus he looks in a mirror and
      sees "himself". He does not see the soul. Guru Kabir uses a few
      examples of how animals are fooled. The dog in a house of mirrors
      sees it own reflection, and thinks it is another dog and keeps on
      barking at it and dies without realizing that it was barking at it's
      own reflection. Similarly, the lion seeing it's own reflection in
      the water thinks it is another lion, and jumps in and looses its
      life. Again the elephant seeing it's own image in a shinning stone
      such as a slab of marble will try to pierce it with it's tusk. Guru
      Kabir says that sometimes we are like the monkey with its hand in a
      narrow-necked jar to grab some grain. Because it does not want to
      give up the grain it cannot remove it's clenched fist through the
      narrow-necked jar, and is thus caught and made to perform tricks
      from house to house. Again the parrot thinks itself trapped when
      it's holding on to the trap it's own self, being afraid to let go
      and fly away to freedom. (See explanation of lalani in Shabda 73)

      The message in this shabda is that we must not be deceived by our
      outward appearances. We must see that we are a conscious soul and
      not merely the physical body. If we consider ourselves to be merely
      the body, then we are being fooled just as the various animals
      mentioned. But we have a superior intelligence and an inquiring and
      logical mind, and are aware of our own consciousness and will. We
      need to use these attributes to discover who we really are, and
      reach a state of perfection and bliss.