The Yoga of Sound -- Exploring Sound Meditation (Auditory Mysticism

  • SantMatMysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2013

      The Yoga of Sound -- Exploring Sound Meditation (Auditory Mysticism, Surat Shabd Yoga) in the Sacred Texts of the Great World Religions and Gnostic Traditions -- Tuning the Cosmic Radio Dial
      By James Bean
      Copyright October 2004 -- All Rights Reserved

      Introduction

      No doubt, many of you saw the movie Contact, based upon the book with that same title authored by the late Dr. Carl Sagan. The story was about SETI -- the search of extraterrestrial intelligence. In this film scientists intercepted radio signal emanating from another part of the galaxy. These broadcasts were being beamed directly at the earth by an alien civilization trying to get our attention. After many years they finally succeeded. Their message was eventually deciphered; it contained schematics for constructing a transportation device which would allow humans to travel to the distant world where the signals were coming from.

      After viewing this very worthwhile and philosophical film, I couldn't help comparing the parallels between this SETI scenario and one of the world's oldest forms of yoga-meditation: Surat Shabd Meditation, the Yoga of the Sound Current. 'Shabda' is based on an ancient Sanskrit word for divine or cosmic Sound: heavenly music. For thousands of years, human beings around the world have been tuning into a Sound which comes from beyond the stars. For the practitioners of the Yoga of Sound, this heavenly music is also a means of transportation. By becoming one with the Holy Stream of Sound, souls during their meditation practice may find themselves ascending in spirit toward the place where the Sound emanates. This Sound connects all souls of the universe to the Timeless (akal) realm of the Great Spirit (Haq, Sat, Sach Khand).

      Inner and Outer Sound in the World Religions

      Being an initiate of Shabd Meditation and very much interested in comparative mysticism and religion, I would like to share with you some quotes from around the world on clairaudience, the ability to hear the mystic-Sound, the Song of the Creator, the Voice of the Great Life that brought all the bubble universes into existence.

      SACRED MUSIC IN THE WORLD RELIGIONS ATTEMPTING TO IMITATE OR MIMIC THE MYSTIC-SOUND

      The Sound of God's Voice said, "Let there be..."

      "In the Beginning was the Word, the Logos, the Tao, the Shabda, the Nada, the Saut-e Sarmad..."

      Indigenous cultures support the belief that the universe was brought into existence through sound. The Australian Aborigines believe in "Songlines," meaning the "Way of the Law," which sang the world, and everything in it, into existence. Native American traditions speak of the "Song of the Creator" that created life and sustains the universe.

      The Book of the Hopi (Native American spirituality), the first revelation of the Hopi's historical and religious world-view of life, contains a beautiful story of creation. In this "genesis" account, the Song of Creation is the essential Force that brings to life the first humans, and the Earth itself is described as a musical instrument. "All the vibratory centers along the Earth's axis from pole to pole resounded His Call; the Earth trembled; the universe quivered in tune. Thus He made the whole world an instrument of sound, and an instrument for carrying messages, resounding praise to the Creator of all." In this account, it says that it is our duty, our sacred purpose as human beings to echo this song of creation back to the Creator again by "making a joyful sound throughout the land."

      Chant and sacred music of the world religions can also cause souls to yearn to hear the real Harmony of All Harmonies, to develop a desire to meditate upon the INNER Sound of the Creator that fills the heavens. According to the Masters of Sant Mat and those who practice Surat Shabd Yoga, this Current of Sound, Light, and Love will take us back to God again, will take us Home, if we become one with it. More later on this Yoga of the Audible Life Stream.

      Sacred music is IMITATING, MIMICKING higher spiritual sounds, bringing some aspect of the Music of Heaven to the physical world. Tibetan bells and bowls do this very effectively. The inventor of the Sitar, the most well-known instrument of Indian classical music, said that it was his attempt to "capture the music of the Spirit in terms of the physical world." (The Pilgrimage of James, George Arnsby Jones, Peacehaven Press) He considered his attempt "a failure." As beautiful as the sitar is, the Real Sound is far more glorious than any sound or outer music of this world.

      Harmonic overtone chanting (the singing of two or more notes at the same time!) is a vocal technique used in Mongolia, Tuva, Laos, and other Asian countries. The human voice is transformed into a sonic rainbow of tones and overtones making the voice resemble the Music of the Spheres. A few years back I learned how to do this wonderful practice.

      In India, many have verbalized the Sound of the universe as "AAAAAUUUUUMMMMM," the OM chant. In Tibet, Buddhist monks created an otherworldly form of chant -- their attempt to reproduce audibly something of the inner sounds they heard during their meditations. The various Christian, Sethian (Jewish), Hermetic, and other Gnostic schools of Egypt also devised forms of chant that they perceived as verbally mimicking/expressing the Real Name of God that otherwise is hidden in the silence of the soul. They chanted various combinations of vowels and have included them in their prayers: "I praise You. I call your Name that is hidden within me: A O EE O EE OOOOOOOIIIII OOOOOO OOOOOOUUUUUU UUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO." ("The Gospel of the Egyptians" in, The Nag Hammadi Library In English, James M. Robinson, HarperSanFrancisco)

      The Gnostic Gospels are filled with many examples of chant and Names of God that were used by Egyptian mystics and monks during meditation practice to explore the Kingdom of the Heavens within, the Wonders of Inner Space. These ancient texts provide many examples of souls ascending in spirit through various heavenly realms on their way back to "The Eighth," the heavenly state or realm of Ultimate Reality where the Nameless God resides, beyond all the veils of Light, Sound, and illusion.

      Whether it's drumming, Russian Orthodox or Coptic chant, or Gregorian plain-chant, an Indian classical raga or bagpipes, for millennia humans have been echoing various aspects of this Song of Creation. "For in the beginning of the times so did we all share in the Holy Stream of Sound that gave birth to all creation." (Essene Gospel of Peace, authored by Edmond Bordeaux Szekely, Volume Four)

      Across the many centuries and around the world, mystics, in the scriptures they left behind, recorded some of their experiences with inner Sound, the heavenly Music that comes from beyond the silence. Encountering the Sound Current might be as subtle as hearing a faint tone or hum in meditation, or as blissful as becoming one with a cosmic symphony on a higher plane of existence -- an experience beyond what earthly language is capable of truly conveying.

      THE SOUND CURRENT OF ENLIGHTENMENT IN BUDDHIST MYSTICISM

      The Divine Eye According to the Buddha

      "With the Divine Eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, a bhikkhu surveys a thousand worlds. Just as a man with good sight when he has ascended to the upper palace chamber, might survey a thousand wheel-rims, so too, with the Divine Eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, a bhikkhu surveys a thousand worlds."

      The Divine Ear According to the Buddha

      "I have proclaimed to my disciples the way whereby with the Divine Ear element, which is purified and surpasses the human, they hear both kinds of sounds, the divine and the human, those that are far as well as near. Just as a vigorous trumpeter might make himself heard without difficulty in the four quarters; so too, I have proclaimed to my disciples the way whereby with the Divine Ear element -- far as well as near. And thereby many disciples of mine abide having reached the consummation and Perfection of Direct Knowledge." (The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha -- A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya, Teachings of the Buddha, translated by Bhakkhu Nanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi, Wisdom Publications)

      "It is easiest to hear this Sound when it is quiet, particularly at night-time. Once you have identified this Sound, then you place your awareness on it without wavering. Resting your mind in the Sound, you continue to listen, going further and further into the Sound itself." ("Mind Beyond Death", Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche, Snow Lion Publications)

      "As you calm down, you can experience the Sound of Silence in the mind. You hear it as a kind of high frequency Sound, a ringing Sound that's always there. It is just normally never noticed. Now when you begin to hear that Sound of Silence, it's a sign of emptiness -- of silence of the mind. It's something you can always turn to. As you concentrate on it and turn to it, it can make you quite peaceful and blissful. Meditating on that, you have a way of letting the conditions of the mind cease without suppressing them with another condition. Otherwise you just end up putting one condition over another." (Ajahn Sumedho, a bhikkhu of the Theravadan school of Buddhism, from, The Sound of Silence)

      "Avalokiteshvara Buddha (Quan Yin), the hearer and answerer of prayer, has visited all the Buddha-lands of the ten quarters of the universe and has acquired transcendental powers of boundless freedom and fearlessness and has vowed to emancipate all sentient beings from their bondage and suffering. ... How sweetly mysterious is the Transcendental Sound of Avalokiteshvara! Is is the subdued murmur of the sea-tide setting inward. Its mysterious Sound brings liberation and peace to all sentient beings who in their distress are calling for aid." (Surangama Sutra, "A Buddhist Bible, Dwight Goddard)

      "Ananda and all you who listen here
      Should inward turn your faculty
      Of hearing to hear your own nature
      Which alone achieves Supreme Bodhi.
      That is how enlightenment is won.
      Buddhas as many as the Ganges' sand
      Entered this one gateway to Nirvana.
      All past Tathagathatas
      Have achieved this method."
      ("The Surangama Sutra", Selections from the
      Upasaka Lu K'uan Yu Translation,
      Published by Rider and Company, London)

      "Listening to the inner Sound brings the heart into a position of acute inner awareness. It is not that the inner Sound has some magical property. Rather, it is that bringing of the alert mind, bringing openness and receptivity to Sound, is symbolic of the presence of Ultimate Truth. The Sound is always there. We don't have to create it. It is featureless. It is ever present. So it is a good symbol for Ultimate Reality itself." "In the sutra the Buddha praised this method, the meditation on listening, as the best method for enlightenment. Ajahn Sumedho had been teaching the meditation on the Nada Sound for some years so he was tickled by this connection to another Buddhist tradition. He hadn't realized that there had been so much emphasis on this in traditional Buddhist meditation practices." (Ajahn Amaro)

      "O nobly-born, when thy body and mind were separating, thou must have experienced a glimpse of the Pure Truth, subtle, sparkling, bright, dazzling, glorious, and radiantly awesome, in appearance like a mirage moving across a landscape in springtime in one continuous stream of vibrations. Be not daunted thereby, nor terrified, nor awed. That is the radiance of thine own true nature. Recognize it. From the midst of that radiance, the natural sound of Reality, reverberating like a thousand thunders simultaneously sounding, will come. That is the natural sound of thine own real self. Be not daunted thereby, nor terrified, nor awed. O nobly-born, five-colored radiances ... vibrating and dazzling like colored threads, flashing, radiant, and transparent, glorious and awe-inspiring, will ... strike against thy heart, so bright that the eye cannot bear to look upon them. ... Be not afraid of that brilliant radiance of five colors, nor terrified; but know that Wisdom to be thine own. Within those radiances, the natural sound of the Truth will reverberate like a thousand thunders. The sound will come with a rolling reverberation. Fear not. Flee not. Be not terrified. Know them (i.e., these sounds) to be (of) ... thine own inner light." (Extracts from, "The Tibetan Book of the Dead" -- Bardo Thodol), edited by Dr. W. Y. Evans-Wentz)

      Ajahn Amaro: "When he [Ajahn Sumedho] first taught this method to the Sangha at Chithurst that winter, he referred to it as 'the sound of silence' and the name stuck. Later, as he began to teach the method on retreats for the lay community, he began to hear about its use from people experienced in Hindu and Sikh meditation practices. In these traditions, he found out, this concentration on the inner sound was known as nada yoga, or 'the yoga of inner light and sound.' It also turned out that books had been written on the subject, commentaries in English as well as ancient scriptural treatises, notably, "The Law of Attention: Nada Yoga and the Way of Inner Vigilance", by Edward Salim Michael. In 1991, when Ajahn Sumedho taught the sound of silence as a method on a retreat at a Chinese monastery in the United States, one of the participants was moved to comment, 'I think you have stumbled on the Shurangama Samadhi. There is a meditation on hearing that is described in that sutra, and the practice you have been teaching us seems to match it perfectly.'" ("Who is Listening?", by Rev. Guo Cheen)

      Stages of Inner Sound Meditation in the Shurangama Sutra, a Buddhist Scripture:

      "That Buddha taught me to enter samadhi [deep meditation, union] through a process of listening. I began with a practice based on the nature of hearing. (1) First I redirected my hearing inward in order to enter the current of the sages. (2) Then external sounds disappeared. (3) With its direction reversed and with sounds stilled, both sounds and silence cease to arise. (4) So it was that, as I gradually progressed, what I heard and my awareness of what I heard came to an end. Even when that state of mind in which everything had come to an end disappeared, I did not rest. (5) My awareness and the objects of my awareness were emptied, and when that process of emptying my awareness was wholly complete, then even that emptying and what had been emptied vanished. (6) Coming into being and ceasing to be themselves ceased to be. Then the Ultimate Stillness was revealed." (Shrangama Sutra quoted in the white paper, "Who is Listening?", all about transcendental hearing, the sound of silence meditation practice in Theravadan Buddhism, by Rev. Guo Cheen)

      INNER SPIRITUAL HEARING AND SEEING IN BAHAI TEACHINGS

      The following quote, which teaches us about acquiring 'spiritual eyes' is taken from, The Revelation of Baha'u'llah, Vol. 2, p.31 by Adib Taherzadeh:

      "Baha'u'llah teaches [quoting from] the Mathnavi [written by Rumi, the Sufi poet] that: 'man will not be able to receive the Light of God in this day unless he acquires a new Eye. Eyes which are fixed on the things of this world can never see the glory of His Revelation, and ears which are tuned to the voices of the ungodly cannot hear the Melodies of the Kingdom.' By 'new eyes' and 'new ears' He means spiritual eyes and spiritual ears. He states that since the Eye of the Spirit receives its Light from God it is shameful to let it turn to a stranger, and re-affirms that the purpose of God in creating the inner Eye was that man might behold the beauty of His Manifestation in this world.

      In, 'The Hidden Words', a Bahai text, Baha'u'llah reveals:

      "O Son Of Dust! Blind thine eyes, that thou mayest behold My beauty; stop thine ears, that thou mayest hearken unto the sweet Melody of My Voice; empty thyself of all learning, that thou mayest partake of My knowledge; and sanctify thyself from riches, that thou mayest obtain a lasting share from the ocean of My eternal wealth. Blind thine eyes, that is, to all save My beauty; stop thine ears to all save My Word; empty thyself of all learning save the knowledge of Me; that with a clear vision, a pure heart and an attentive Ear thou mayest enter the court of My holiness."

      THE SOUND CURRENT -- THE AUDIBLE LIFE STREAM IN THE JUDEO-CHRISTIAN TRADITION

      The English Mystic Richard Rolle reflects in "The Fire of Love:"

      "When Christ wishes it ... he receives within himself the Song sent into him from the heavens, and his meditation is changed into Melody, and his spirit lingers in marvelous Harmony."

      "In the Light of God which is called the Kingdom of Heaven the Sound is wholly soft, pleasant, lovely, pure and thin ... God, who is a Spirit, has by and through his manifestation introduced himself into distinct spirits, which are the voices of his eternal pregnant harmony in the manifested Word of his great kingdom of joy: they are God's instrument, in which his Spirit melodizes in his kingdom of joy; they are angels, the flames of fire and light, in a living, understanding dominion.

      "If you should in this world bring many thousand sorts of musical instruments together, and all should be tuned in the best manner most artificially, and the most skilfull masters of music should play on them in concert together, all would be no more than the howlings and barkings of dogs in comparison of the Divine Music, which rises through the Divine Sound and tunes from Eternity to Eternity." (Jacob Boehme, German Mystic)

      "In the beginning was the Logos (the Word), the Logos was with God and the Logos was God." (John 1:1)

      The Divine Logos... is the helmsman and governor of the universe... The everlasting Logos of the eternal God is the very sure and staunch prop of the Whole... But the shadow of God is his Word [Logos], which he used like an instrument when he was making the world. And this shadow, and, as it were, model, is the archetype of other things." (Philo of Alexandria)

      "Heaven is ever making Music, producing in accordance with its celestial motions the Perfect Harmony. ... To such strains, it is said, Moses was listening, when, having become disembodied, for forty days and as many nights he touched neither bread nor water at all." (Philo of Alexandria, on, The Music of the Spheres)

      "Behold, my heart was amazed that thus the Word was revealed to one with ears unattuned, and that a wayward heart was able to grasp these things." (The Master of Qumran, The Dead Sea Scriptures, translated by T.H. Gaster, Anchor Press)

      "What else is Christ but the Sound of God." (Acts of John)

      Experiences with the Sound Current -- people hearing heavenly Music -- are also recorded in the Bible and other spiritual writings of the West. In the Book of Revelation we find this: "And I heard a Sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters, and like a peal of thunder. After that, the Sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps." (from Revelation, 14)

      The Heavenly Sound of a Trumpet induces the ascension to the heavens at the beginning of Revelation, chapter four in the New Testament:

      "After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a Trumpet said, 'Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this." At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it.'"

      Enoch raised upon the wings of the Shekina to the place of the Throne, the Merkaba and the angelic hosts:

      "And I took him, that is, Enoch, the son of Jared, from among them. And I lifted him up with Sound of a Trumpet and with a teru'a (shout) to the high heavens, to be My witness together with the Chayyoth* [angles] by the Merkaba* in world to come."
      (Third Enoch -- The Hebrew Book of Enoch)

      (Enoch Notes: *Merkaba is a Hebrew word and means 'God's Throne-Chariot' and refers to the chariot of Ezekiel's vision. The goal of the merkaba mystic was to enter the throne world, after passing through Seven Heavenly Mansions. *Chayyoth or Hayyoth (Hebrew), a group of mighty angels who reside in the seventh heaven.)

      "Peter and I knelt down, gave thanks, and sent our hearts up to heaven. We heard with our ears and saw with our eyes the sound of battles and a Trumpet's blast and utter turmoil. And when we passed beyond that place, we sent our minds up further. We saw with our eyes and heard with our ears hymns and angelic praises and angelic rejoicing. Heavenly majesties were singing hymns, and we ourselves were rejoicing." (Secret Book of James, Nag Hammadi Library)

      "Open your ears, and I shall speak to you. Give Me yourself, so that I may also give you Myself." (Syriac Book of the Odes, 9: 1-2)

      "God so wishes us to return to Him that He keeps calling to us again and again to approach Him. It is due to His sweet holy Voice that our soul is lost in ecstasy and surrenders totally to His will". (Saint Teresa of Avila, Spain)

      "I heard a noise like wind blowing in my ears and knew it for the Sound of the Holy Spirit which became like the voice of a dove. When the Lord spoke to me I lost all sense of time. I did not know if he was with me five or six hours or only one. It was so holy and full of grace that I felt as if I had been in heaven." (Margery Kempe, The Mirror of Love)

      Hildegard of Bingen, the German Mystic, wrote: "To the Trinity be praise! God is Music, God is Life that nurtures every creature in its kind." She also said:

      "The soul is kissed by God in its innermost regions.
      With interior yearning, grace and blessing are bestowed.
      It is a yearning to take on God's gentle yoke,
      It is a yearning to give one's self to God's way."

      "The marvels of God are not brought forth from one's self.
      Rather, it is more like a Chord, a Sound that is played.
      The tone does not come out of the chord itself, but rather,
      through the touch of the Musician.
      I am, of course, the lyre and harp of God's kindness!"

      "I think that no soul may truly feel the angel's song or heavenly Sound, unless it is in perfect love, though not all that are in perfect love have felt it, but only the soul that is so purified in the fire of love that all earthly savor is burned out of it, and all obstacles between the soul and the cleanness of angels are broken and put away from it. Then truly may he sing a new song, and truly may he hear a blessed heavenly Sound, and angel's song, without deceit or feigning. Our Lord knows the soul that, for abundance of burning love, is worthy to hear angel's song." (Walter Hilton, The Song of Angels)

      The great Masters teach that the Sound of God is within everyone -- this Holy Stream of Sound is within every living thing. This is why those given to exploring inner space through meditation, be they from the East or the West, have discovered this Reality playing within themselves.

      HEARING THE SOUND CURRENT ACCORDING TO THE GNOSTIC GOSPELS

      "Listen within yourself and look into the infinitude of Space and Time. There can be heard the songs of the Constellations, the voices of the Numbers, and the Harmonies of the Spheres." (Hermes Trismegistus, Corpus Hermeticum of Egypt)

      Before the Sufi mystics of Islam, in ancient times there were Gnostics: Jewish, Hermetic, and Christian mystics who also described hearing the Sound, and seeing mystic visions of Light and the heavens while in deep states of meditation. The following is from, The Gnostic Mystery, by Andrea Grace Diem. In her book about Sant Mat and Gnosticism she frequently quotes from the Nag Hammadi Library, a new testament-like collection of sacred texts written in the Coptic language of Egypt (Gnostic Gospels no doubt copied from earlier Greek manuscripts):

      "Man's soul shall become, when it leaveth the body, a great flood of Light, so as to traverse all the regions until it cometh into the Kingdom of Mystery."

      "I turned to myself and saw Light that surrounded me and the Good that was in me; I became divine." (Allogenes, which literally means "the Stranger" or "Foreigner")

      In Trimorphic Protennoia the gnostic writer (in the voice of God) describes how this transformation takes place:

      "I cast a Sound into the ears of those who know me. And I am inviting you into the exalted, perfect Light. Moreover as for this Light, when you enter it you will be glorified ... you will become gloriously glorious, the way you first were when you were Light. And I hid myself in everyone and revealed myself within them, and every mind seeking me longed for me, for it is I who gave shape to the All when it had no form. And I transformed their forms into other forms until the time when a form will be given to the All. It is through me that the Voice originated ... And it is a Word, by virtue of a Sound; it was sent to illumine those who dwell in darkness...I am a Light that illuminates the All. I am the Light that rejoices in my brethren, for I came down to the world of mortals..."

      "When describing the philosophical nature of the cosmos, Gnostic writers emphasize this Sound Current, variously referred to as Word, Voice, Logos, Speech, or simply Sound. Also, throughout Gnostic texts reference is made to the manifestation of a mystical Light, known as Treasury of Light, Immeasurable Light, etc. In the Trimorphic Protennoia it is described in the following way" (Andrea Grace Diem):

      "I am the Word who dwells in the ineffable Silence. I dwell in undefiled Light and a Thought revealed itself perceptibly through the great Sound ... And it the Sound exists from the beginning in the foundations of the All [multiverse or cosmos]. But there is a Light that swells hidden in Silence and it was the first to come forth...I alone am the Word, ineffable, incorruptible, immeasurable, inconceivable. It (the Word?) is a hidden Light ... being unreproducible, an immeasurable Light, the source of All...It is foundation that supports every movement of the Aeons that belong to the mighty glory. It is the founding of every foundation. It is the breath of the powers. It is the eye of the three permanence's, which exist as a Voice by virtue of a Thought. And it is a Word by virtue of the Sound ... I (the Word) became a foundation for the All..." (Trimorphic Protennoina, Nag Hammadi Library)

      More selections from Gnostic texts:

      "I am a Voice speaking softly.
      I exist from the first.
      I dwell within the silence..."
      (Trimorphic Protennoia)

      "I am the silence that is incomprehensible.
      I am the Voice whose Sound is manifold
      and the Word whose appearance is multiple...
      I am the hearing which can be attained by everyone."
      (Thunder: Perfect Mind, Nag Hammadi Library)

      "He is the First Father of the All (universe).
      He is the First Being.
      He is the First Source.
      He it is whose Voice has penetrated everywhere.
      He is the First Sound
      whereby the All perceived and understood."
      (Hymn in the Untitled Text of the Bruce Codex)

      "It is I who am hidden within Radiant Waters.
      I am the one who gradually put forth (manifested, emanated) the All...
      It is I who am laden with the Voice. It is through me that Gnosis comes forth.
      I am perception (enlightenment) and knowledge, uttering a Voice...
      I am the real Voice.
      I cry out in everyone,
      and they recognize it (the Voice),
      since a seed (of me) dwells in (each of) them."
      (Trimorphic Protennoia, Nag Hammadi Library)

      "It is He to whom the universe has come; they were silent before Him and have not told of Him, for He is beyond speech, beyond thought. So This is the First Fountain; it is He whose Voice has penetrated in every place -- this is the First Sound vibrating until the universe feels and understands." (Bruce Codex of Egypt)

      The Five Hebrew-Sounding Names (Panch Naam Mantras) of the Jewish Sethian Gnostics

      Throughout Gnostic literature names of specific lights of the different realms are described:

      Armozel of the First region,
      Oroiael of the Second,
      Daveithe of the Third, and
      Elethe of the Fourth.
      The Fifth Aeon, the Divine, is the all-encompassing Light.
      (Andrea Grace Diem, The Gnostic Mystery)

      Name One: Armoz-el of the first region,
      Name Two: Oroia-el of the second,
      Name Three: Daveithe of the third,
      Name Fourth: El-ethe of the fourth.
      The Fifth Aeon and Fifth Name not revealed:
      the Divine, Self-Begotten One.

      These sacred names, which correspond to five heavenly regions or planes, are words of power. By repeating various names of God while concentrating in the darkness, the energies of the soul that normally are scattered and dissipated into the world of the five senses are gathered together at the Single Eye. With this Singleness of Vision - concentration at the Third Eye Center, Light will appear. One will begin to rise above body-consciousness and begin the interior voyage of spiritual ascension (soul travel) accompanied by the Radiant Form of the Master. Trimorphic Protennoia:

      "He who possesses the Five Seals of these particular names has stripped off the garments of ignorance [the material body and subtle bodies: astral, causal, etc...] and put on a shining Light. And nothing will appear to him that belongs to the Powers of the Archons [rulers of the lower regions]. Within those of this sort, darkness will dissolve and ignorance will die. And the thought of the creature, which is scattered, will present a single appearance and dark Chaos will dissolve and ... until I reveal myself to all my fellow brethren, and until I gather together all my fellow brethren within my eternal Kingdom. And I proclaimed to them the ineffable Five Seals in order that I might abide in them and they also might abide in me."

      HEARING THE MUSIC OF THE SPHERES (SOUND CURRENT) IN SUFI MYSTICISM

      "A Sound is vibrating in the whole of creation. When you open your inner ear you will hear a Continuous Sound, which will lead you across all limitations of mind and matter. My Beloved is speaking to you all the time. Alas! you do not hear his Voice." (Shah Niaz, Sufi Saint)

      "The whole world is reverberating with Sound. To listen to It thou must unseal thine inner ears, then shalt thou hear an Unending Music, and that shall lead thee beyond the confines of death." (Shah Niaz)

      The Mysticism of Sound by Hazrat Inayat Khan is an amazing book presenting the Sufi teachings on inner Sound. Hazrat Khan on hearing the Mystic-Sound:

      "Abstract Sound is called Saut-e Sarmad by the Sufis; all space is filled with it. The vibrations of this Sound are too fine to be either audible or visible to the material eyes or ears, since it is even difficult for the eyes to see the form and color of the ethereal vibrations on the external plane. It was the Saut-e Sarmad, the Sound of the abstract plane, which Muhammad heard in the cave of Ghar-e Hira when he became lost in his divine Ideal. The Qur'an refers to this Sound in the words, 'Be! and all became.' Moses heard this very Sound on Mount Sinai, when in communion with God; and the same Word was audible to Christ when absorbed in his Heavenly Father in the wilderness. Shiva heard the same Anhad Nada during his Samadhi [deep meditation] in the cave of the Himalayas. The flute of Krishna is symbolic of the same Sound. This Sound is the source of all revelation to the Masters, to whom it is revealed from within; it is because of this that they know and teach one and the same truth." (The Sufi Message Series, II)

      "The person, who is in tune with the universe, becomes like a radio receiver through which the Voice of the universe is transmitted." (Hazrat Khan)

      "This creative current, filling all space, may be likened to the electromagnetic waves of the radio." (Julian P. Johnson)

      "...The Great Creative Current flows outwards and downwards to create, govern and sustain all regions. It passes out from this region somewhat like the radio emanations going forth from a great broadcasting station. It is the Audible Life Stream, the most important factor in the system of the Masters. This Stream permeates the entire system of universes. A thing of great importance to us is that the music of this ever-flowing current, the stream of life, can be heard by a real Master and also by his students who have advanced even a little on the Path." (Julian P. Johnson, Path of the Masters)

      "The subject of Shabd (Inner Sound, The Music of the Creator) is such that we cannot do justice to it by discursive reasoning. All that can be said is that 'Shabd' implies the Power of God that has created and is sustaining the various grand divisions, divisions and sub-divisions of the vast creation of God. It is a current from the Ocean of Consciousness and is characterized by Sound-vibration, or in other words, It is a live and active principle which, emanating from God, is enlivening all creation. It is the instrument with which God creates, controls and sustains His vast universe. It acts as a life-line between the Creator and His creation and serves as a golden bridge between the two. The divine currents, like the ethereal waves of a radio, are spread out in the atmosphere in all the directions of the compass, giving out delectable strains of music. We, however, cannot catch the ethereal vibrations and listen to the divine melody until we get in tune with the Infinite by adjusting our mental apparatus. Therefore we become etherealized more and more as we come in tune with the heavenly music. Shabd is the connecting link between God and man." (Sant Kirpal Singh, Ruhani Satsang USA website)

      "The vibrations of this Sound are too fine to be either audible or visible to the material eyes or ears..." (Hazrat Khan) Yet, as Masters and mystics often point out, there is another kind of hearing and another kind of seeing. The eyes and ears of the soul -- the spiritual senses -- can be developed. There is Light coming from beyond the darkness, and there is Music coming from beyond the silence, for those who have ears to hear -- those who desire to meditate and discover the wonders of inner space for themselves.

      "My Master has taught me a lesson:
      It repeats itself-without me repeating it.
      When I plug my ears with my fingers,
      Without learning, I hear its melodies.
      My eyes are longing for a glimpse of him:
      Without seeing, I see his radiant face.
      In every heart abides the Beloved, O Bahu,
      In countless forms he reveals himself to me."
      (Hazrat Sultan BaHU, Sufi poetry website)

      "Rise above thy mental horizon, 0 brave soul, and listen to the call of Music coming from above." (Rumi)

      "Bring the sky beneath your feet and listen to Celestial Music everywhere." (Rumi)

      INNER SOUND MEDITATION (NADA YOGA) IN JAINISM, SIKHISM, HINDUISM, AND THE SURAT SHABD YOGA TRADITIONS OF INDIA

      JAINISM, LORD MAHAVIRA, AND INNER SOUND MEDITATION

      "O Ascetic! Meditate on the Cosmic Sound of OM because it is like rain for extinguishing the fire of suffering. And it is also like a lamp which illuminates the subtle essence of the sacred teachings. It is the governance of good deeds." (Jnanarnva, sarga: 38, Jainism)

      "Close both ears with your hands and listen to the Inner Sounds." (Acharya Mahapragya, "The Method of Using Preksha Dhyana", Jainism)

      "In the Divine Sound of God (Bhagawan) all the mysteries are revealed." (Swami Jnananada, Pandita Puja, Jainism)

      "What does one hear with these ears? It is a sweet Sound. ... Closing my eyes, as if I were united with God, I was away from this world. Onl

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)