Re: Reducing Karma Through Surat Shabd Yoga

  • Pravesh
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1 11:24 PM

      My Dear James,

      Jai Guru!

      Thanks for posting such a beautiful message explaining how the karmas are exhausted with sincere & rigorous meditation.

      The view is echoed by Upanishads as well which say,

      "yadi shaila samam pApam vistIrNam bahuyojanam |
       bhidyate dhyAnayogen nAnyo bhedaH kadAchan ||"

      [Even if one has accumulated sins as large in extent as miles & miles of sprawling mountains. |
       They get destroyed by meditation; there is no other way (to singe the stockpile of karmas). ||]

      Maharshi Mehi Paramhans Ji Maharaj would also very nicely explain this concept. He said that the laws of karma are applicable within the karma - manDala (Sphere of Action) only and can't touch or affect one who has crossed or transcended the karma-manDala just as the laws of a particular country are applicable within the bounds of that country only. The domain of karmas extend only as far as the domain of Gunas extend because actions are powered & effected by the gunas only. The Supra-Causal Domain is the Ultimate limit of Gunas; in this Mahakaran or Supracausal plane all the three gunas exist in perfect mutual equilibrium so that no action or creation can take place here. The Kaivalya/ chetan ManDal or the Domain of the Quintessential Sound (sAra shabd or anAhat nAda) lies even  beyond the the Supra-Causal Sphere and, hence, is beyond the three-gunas and, consequently all the actions.

      Therefore, the one who, by diligent & devoted practice of inner meditation on sound, can ascend himself into this Sphere of Kaivalya or Pure Consciousness elevates himself beyond the Sphere of Actions and, as a result, the laws of Action cannot bind him - such a one becomes beyond or untouched by the karmas (because such a person even though he is seen to be discharging normal worldly actions keeps his soul incessantly hooked on to that Current of Quintessential primeval Sound - this, in fact, is surat-shabda yoga in the real sense of term meaning yoga or union of surat or soul with the shabd or the word); all the three types of action simply fall apart for such a yogi.

      Mahayogi Gorakhnath Ji has remarked,

      "kAyA hansa sangi hvai AvA | jAtA yogI kinahu na pAvA ||" That is, though the soul comes into this world accompanied by the body, nobody (not even Kala, Yama or Death God) can keep pace with the soul of a Yogi when departing the world...and, therefore, such a soul quite easily transcends transmigratory cycles.

      This, however,  Maharshi Mehi would caution, does not mean that we can go on committing sinful acts and yet annihilating them with dhyana  yoga. The fact of the matter, he would say, is that a man who is not firm in virtuosity or righteousness can not progress in meditation. Therefore, sadAchAra (righteous conduct, abstention from sinful acts) is an essential eligibility condition for a true seeker.

      Jai Guru!

      Pravesh K. Singh

      http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/SantmatFraternity))))