Kabir in Sat Yuga --- From Anurag Sagar

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 11:55 AM
      Kabir in Sat Yuga --- From Anurag Sagar

      Sant Mat Fellowship:
      {"Repeat the Name of your Beloved, day and night, again and again. With care in thought, word and deed, you will cross to the other shore." -- Dadu}

      Anuragsagarr-2.jpg picture by agocharAnuragsagarr-2.jpg picture by agochar

      NOTES -- Terms Used in the Anurag Sagar Passage Below

      RAMA   Ra means "beyond"; the mantra of Rama is supposed to take its votary beyond Maya. But it cannot because it did not originate beyond Maya. The word rama comes from a word meaning "vibration" in Sanskrit, and is applied to the Sound Current. Worship of Ram Naam antedates the worship of the avatar Rama, who was an incarnation of Vishnu in the second or Silver Age.

      SAT YUGA  The Age of Truth, or Golden Age, the first and longest in the mahayuga or Day of Brahma- the cycle of four yugas. According to Hindu tradition Sat Yuga was 1,728,000 years in length, and the people lived an average lifetime of 100,000 years. The quality of life under these conditions is incomprehensible, but this view of the universe can best be understood as a wound-up watch operating at maximum efficiency when first wound and then gradually deteriorating-winding down. The universe as a whole is not evolving, it is involving; there is no question of "things getting better." What does evolve, in a sort of grand counterpoint to the universe, is the individual spirit --- at least when it is on the upward swing of the wheel of eighty-four. Here the people of the Sat Yuga were at a distinct disadvantage, even though they were able to "go up" with ease: life was so good and so secure that very few understood  the nature of the trap they were in. That is why Kabir's "concession" of the first three yugas to Kal is essentially meaningless: it is only in the Kali Yuga that the nature of existence becomes obvious enough for people to recognize the trap as a trap. Only in the Kali Yuga have significant numbers of people followed the Masters; only in the Kali Yuga do people understand that they are asleep and so make efforts to awake; only in the Kali Yuga is suffering the norm and substratum of life on the physical plane.

      DECEPTION OF YAMA   Death; Yama is Kal's name as Death God. Death of course is very far away for most people in the Sat Yuga.

      TIKA  The reservoir behind the eyes: it has to be filled with the attention before the soul can go up.

      BHAKTI  The loving devotion of God or the Satguru.

      ARTI  This word is used in Hinduism to mean a ritual centering around the presentation of light; here the word is used more specifically to describe a ceremony accompanying initiation which is an acted-out parable, every detail of which is symbolic of one or another aspect of the inner path. A complete explanation of the inner significance of this ceremony was given by Tulsi Sahib (1763-1843), a Master in the line of descent from Kabir, and may be consulted by the interested reader in Param Sant Tulsi Sahib (trans. S.D. Maheshwari, Agra, n.d.); in a pre-literate age, ceremonies of this type, in which every detail has a specific meaning which could be committed to memory and passed on to others, served as convenient ways to codify the teachings. The outer performance of the ritual has long since been abandoned by the Masters, if indeed it ever was performed in the literal sense; the inner Reality remains however, and is still conveyed in the initiation as described here.

      FIVES SACRED WORDS  The mantra of the Basic Names of God, referring to the manifestation of the Naam or Sound Current on each of the five inner planes, and taught by the Masters as the means for Simran or remembrance, was instituted at this time-the first initiation into Sant Mat ever performed. Not that the words themselves were necessarily the same as they are given today; they have varied from language to language and today exist differently in Sanskrit and Arabic. But the symbolic relationship of the words to the Naam or Word is the same.

      Anuragsagarr.jpg picture by agocharAnuragsagarr.jpg picture by agocharAnuragsagarr.jpg picture by agochar

      Anurag Sagar (The Ocean of Love), in English, is published by Sant Bani Ashram, Sanbornton, NH, USA

      In the Sat Yuga:
      [Kabir's] Incarnation as Sat Sukrit

      The Satguru [Kabir] said:

      0 Dharam Das, listen about the Sat Yuga. I will tell you about the
      souls to whom I gave Naam.

      In Sat Yuga my name was Sat Sukrit and by the orders of Sat
      Purush I awakened the souls.

      THE STORY OF KING DHONDHAL

      I went to King Dhondhal and made him hear the true Shabda.
      He accepted my Sat Shabda, so I made him see immediately.

      HYMN

      King Dhondhal, a saintly gentleman, caught my Shabda with determination.
      He took the peace-giving Parshad and the water, after touching it
      to my feet.
      He was overwhelmed with Love-giving up illusion, he shone.
      He recognized the Essential Shabda and contemplated on the feet
      of the Master.

      THE STORY OF KHEMSARI

      After awakening Dhondhal in Shabda, I appeared in the city of
      Mathura.
      There Khemsari came running, with many women, old people and
      children.
      Khemsari said, "0 Ancient Man, from where have you come?"
      I told him the teachings of Shabda, about Sat Purush and about the
      form of Yama.
      Hearing that---when he understood the deception of Yama---love
      manifested within Khemsari.

      Making Khemsari have the darshan [vision] of Sat Lok

      But he had one doubt: only after seeing Sat Lok would he believe.
      So keeping his body here, I took his soul within a moment to Sat
      Lok.
      After showing him Sat Lok, I brought his soul back. After returning
      to his body, he repented:
      "0 Lord, take me to that plane. Here there is too much of Kal's
      miseries. "
      So I told him, "Listen to my words. Obey whatever I say:

      Sat Lok is achieved only after Tika is filled

      Brother, until the Tika is filled up, keep your attention attached to Naam.
      You've seen my Lok, so give that teaching to the souls.

      KabirFriends.jpg picture by agochar

      Fruit of teaching the souls

      Even if one soul comes in His refuge, such a soul is appreciated by
      Sat Purush.
      If a cow, about to be eaten by a lion, is saved by some brave man,
      that man is praised a lot.
      The lion is afraid of the brave man. In the same way the jiva is the
      food of Kal, and
      If one makes even one soul determined in bhakti he gets the fruit of
      saving ten million cows. "
      Khemsari fell at my feet and said, "0 Lord, save me!
      Shower grace on me and enlighten me so that I may not fall in the
      trap of Kal again."
      Sat Sukrit said:
      "Listen, 0 Khemsari. This is the country of Yama; without Naam
      the fear cannot be removed.
      By catching the rope of Sat Purush the soul breaks the straw traps
      of Yama.
      One who gets the gift of Sat Purush's Naam does not come back in
      the ocean of life."
      Khemsari said, "Give me the passport; freeing me from Yama,
      make me Your own.
      And to the other souls in my house, 0 Lord, give them also the gift
      of Naam.

      Please put Your feet in my house and explain the message of liberation
      to the souls."

      Kabir said to Dharam Das:

      Then in his house the Meeting of Love took place. The feet which
      were full of nectar and liberation-giving, stepped in that house.
      Khemsari spoke to everyone explaining, "Brothers, all of you
      make your life successful."
      Khemsari said to the family:
      "Brothers, those who want liberation of the soul, accept the Satguru
      Shabda.
      He is the only one Who can save you from Yama; believe me, this is
      true."

      Kabir said to Dharam Das:

      All the souls believed in him firmly, so they all came with Khemsari.
      They came to my feet and said, "0 Lord, liberate us so that Yama
      won't harass us and we may chase away the pain of birth after
      birth."
      When I saw the men and women so helpless, I said this to them:
      "No one can stop those who will accept my Shabda.
      The suffering created by Kal will be finished for the soul who believes
      in my teachings.
      Yam Raj will not go near one who gets the passport of Sat Purush's
      Naam."
      Sat Sukrit said to Khemsari:
      "Bring what is needed to perform the arti, so that I may finish
      your soul's pain, which was created by Kal."
      Khemsari said, "0 Lord, explain to me what is needed for the
      arti to be performed."

      HYMN

      "Listen, Khemsari, to the meaning of arti which I will explain to
      you.
      Bring sweets, betel leaf, camphor, banana, eight kinds of dried
      fruits,

      Five vessels, a piece of white cloth, clean leaves of a banana tree,
      A coconut, and a white flower-and' make a white chauka of sandalwood.

      COUPLET

      0 Khemsari, bring all these things and perform the arti.
      Marking the boundary with betelnut, perform the chauka by means
      of the Shabda.
      And bring other good pure things --- the beautiful white ghee of the
      cow."

      Kabir said to Dharam Das:

      Hearing my words Khemsari obeyed them; immediately he brought
      everything.
      He set up the white canopy and was determined to know how to
      perform the arti.
      With the wish of Sat Purush, Five Sacred Words were created.
      Devotion, meditation, and Knowledge given by the Master were
      also there.
      I sat on the chauka, and in the meditation the Indestructible Sound
      Current was manifested.

      In the meditation the Indestructible Sound of the Shabda came into
      manifestation---No one can stop It in this world!
      At the appropriate time the chauka was performed and the Radiance
      of the Indestructible Light was manifested.
      When the chauka was performed by means of the Shabda and the
      coconut was broken, Kal ran away.
      When the coconut was struck on the rock, the head of Kal was split
      open and all the pains went away.
      When the coconut broke, a fragrance came out which gave the message
      of Sat Purush.
      I told them the Five Words and at that time they got the Naam of
      Sat Purush.
      Brother, for a moment Sat Purush came and sat there. All the people
      got up and performed the arti.
      Again the arti was performed in the house, a straw was broken, and
      all the people drank water.
      First Khemsari drank the water and after him the other jivas drank
      that with respect.
      I explained to them about Dhyan. By contemplating on the Naam,
      their souls would be saved.
      I explained to them the ways of living and told them that by doing
      the Simran of Naam their souls will go back Home.

      HYMN

      After giving the knowledge of the Satguru to twelve souls I went to
      the Ocean of Peace;
      I touched the Lotus Feet of Sat Purush, Who, smiling, made me sit
      in His lap.
      In many ways the Owner of the Souls asked me about my well-being
      and happiness.
      Brother, I was happy looking at the glory of that place, which was
      very beautiful.

      COUPLET

      0 Dharam Das, the glory of the Light of the Soul cannot be described.
      In Sat Lok the light of one soul is equal to the light of sixteen suns.
      For a few days I resided there, then I came to see my disciples.
      Day and night in this world I remained secretly, and no soul recognized
      me.

      The souls whom I initiated I sent to Sat Lok.
      In Sat Lok they were living happily in the Eternal Spring of Sat
      Purush.
      Only he sees this who reaches that place. He who has created this
      universe is saying this to awaken the souls.

      anuragcover.jpg picture by agocharanuragcover.jpg picture by agochar