An Introduction to a Living School of Spirituality Called Sant Mat

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2008

      An Introduction to a Living School of Spirituality Called Sant Mat

      ant Mat Fellowship:

      Sant Mat means, "Teachings (Mat) of the Saints (Sants), or "Path of the Masters". In India, there are many lineages of Sants, some dating back to the time of Krishna and the Gita. Some famous Sants of India include Kabir, Guru Nanak, Tulsi Das, Param Sant Tulsi Sahib, Mirabai, Ravidas, Jayadeva (author of the Gita Govinda), Param Sant Dariya Sahib, Sant Radhaswami Sahib, Maharishi Mehi Paramhans, to name a few.

      The essential ingredient for Sant Mat is there are Living Masters in the world NOW to learn from and meditate with, not just old scriptures dating back many centuries, which are often misinterpreted. The competent living Master teaches his or her students the Methods of spiritual practice, imparting to the next generation: ".....what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, what no hand has touched, and what has never occurred to the human mind." (Yeshua, Gospel of Saint Thomas, Saying 17)

      The meditation practice of the Sant tradition is a combination of Bhakti (love and devotion) and Surat Shab-da Yoga -- inner Light and Sound Meditation working with the Third Eye Center, the Seat of the Soul.

      There are several meditation practices in Sant Mat. There are several techniques described, the specific details of which are taught to students at the time of their deeksha (initiation) into the practice:

      1) developing a daily routine, the habit of meditating at the same time or times each day;

      2) proper posture with back straight so that one is truly focused at the Third Eye and remains alert and awake;

      3) Manas Japa (Simran), a mantra repetition of a sacred word or words done mentally;

      4) Manas Dhyan, the technique of mentally visualising a form of God or one's teacher;

      5) Drshti Yoga (Yoga of inner Light), the technique of focusing upon an Infinitesimal Point. This Point will eventually blossom into inner Light or visions of Light. One gazes into the middle of the darkness or the Light one sees while in meditation. Think of the Infinitesimal Point as being like a laser pointer or cursor keeping one focused. One passes from scene to scene and vision to vision always looking toward the center;

      6) Nada Sadhana (Yoga of inner Sound or Bhajan), the practice of inner spiritual hearing; and,

      7) reaching the State of Kaivalya: Oneness with the Supreme Being in the Pure Conscious Realm. The ultimate goal is to merge into the upper level of Kaivalya known as the Ocean of Love and Compassion, the Ultimate Reality of God in the Nirguna or Formless State, also described with terms such as Radhaswami (Lord of the Soul), Anami (The Nameless One) and Anadi (The Soundless State beyond Light and Sound).

      The poet-mystic Param Sant Tulsi Sahib describes the interior journey this way: "There is a Being who is Inaccessible (Agam), unfathomable (Alakh), and Nameless (Anami), and who has no locality, location, and is not confined to space." Sant Tulsi Sahib also often uses the Sufi language of love or bhakti, describing this timeless spiritual State of Oneness as the Abode of the Beloved: "On having found the teacher, I shall adopt his refuge, and I shall follow the path to the Beloved's Abode. The way to the Beloved lies within. My heart's desire, says Tulsi, is that my soul may meet the Beloved." "The love-intoxicated soul is bubbling with joy. The darling of the Beloved has prepared and bedecked the bed and, imbued with the Beloved's bliss (ananda), has cast away all bondages. The soul prepared the Beloved's bed, and, lying there, enjoyed great bliss." (The Shabdavali of Param Sant Tulsi Sahib)

      How can one sit so still, repeat only holy names and think of God constantly? "By falling in love," Mataji answered serenely. "Because when one is truly in love nothing but the Beloved can enter one's mind. So the secret of Surat Shabd Yoga and of mysticism," she goaded, "is not necessarily practice and more practice, but love. To be so devoted to one's Lord that nothing can stand in the way---this and nothing else is the truth of Sant Mat," Mataji stressedÂ…. (YOGANI MATA JI, Enchanted Land)

      KABIR'S Prayer:

      HOW could the love between Thee and me sever?
      As the leaf of the lotus abides on the water: so thou art my Lord, and I am Thy servant.
      As the night-bird Chakor gazes all night at the moon: so Thou art my Lord and I am Thy servant.
      From the beginning until the ending of time, there is love between Thee and me; and how shall such love be extinguished?
      Kabir says: "As the river enters into the ocean, so my heart touches Thee."

      Couplets of Swami SantSevi Ji:

      Begin meditation with internally chanting or repeating the Guru-mantra-incantation (the charged words given by the Guru). And then try to visualize the radiant form or image of the Satguru in the still darkness of the inner sky (with eyes closed). Follow that with focusing your attention at the seat of the soul within, i.e. at the Third Eye or the Inner Eye or the Til Dwaar, by making the two streams of consciousness in your two eyes converge in a Point.

      When the two currents of consciousness meet in a Point, Divine Light
      appears within. Then, practice Surat Shabd Yoga (Yoga of Divine Sound)
      i.e., try to shift your attention to listening to the Divine Sounds or myriads of melodies (Anahad Naad) ringing inside. Listening to the
      Divine Sound destroys all the perversions, agitations and fickleness of
      the mind.

      Ascending beyond or transcending myriads of sounds, try to identify
      and tune in to the Quintessential Unstruck Melody, called "Saar Shabd" or "Anaahat Naad" which alone is capable of taking you and merging you into oneness with the Supreme Lord; this is the ultimate deliverance,
      emancipation, welfare, or liberation.