from the Guru Granth Sahib Ji

  • grace_tilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2007
      while i am not a Sikh, i have been reading through an english
      translation of the Guru Granth Sahib, and find it incredibly clear
      and beautiful. i would like to share the following lines: while i
      read them, i realized how much of a blessing it is to remember to
      pray, to meditate, to submit and listen, even as there are many
      people who do not have the thought or the hope to do so.

      from Raag Maajh:

      One Universal Creator God. The Name Is Truth. Creative Being
      Personified. No Fear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth,
      Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace:

      The Name of the Lord, Har, Har, is pleasing to my mind.

      By great good fortune, I meditate on the Lord's Name.

      The Perfect Guru has attained spiritual perfection in the Name of
      the Lord. How rare are those who follow the Guru's Teachings.

      I have loaded my pack with the provisions of the Name of the Lord,
      Har, Har.

      The Companion of my breath of life shall always be with me.
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2007
        If you have not yet read it, you may enjoy reading Sant Kirpal Singh's commentary on the Jap Ji, the opening section of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It is available online at Ruhani Satsang.
        http://www.ruhanisatsangusa.org/pdf/JapJi.pdf

        (Link to list of all Sant Kirpal Singh's books online at Ruhani Satsang
        http://www.ruhanisatsangusa.org/books.htm#Jungle)

        Here is an except from Master Kirpal's translation of Jap Ji:

        There is One Reality, the Unmanifest-Manifested;
        Ever Existent, He is Naam (Conscious Spirit),
        The Creator; pervading all;
        Without fear; without enmity;
        The Timeless; the Unborn and the Self-existent;
        Complete within Itself.
        Through the favour of His true Servant, the Guru,
        He may be realized.
        He was when there was nothing;
        He was before all ages began;
        He existeth now, O Nanak, and shall exist forevermore.

        Two locations for English translations of the Sri Granth online are:

        http://www.srigranth.org

        and

        http://www.sikhs.org/english

        I have heard it said, and unfortunately can not attribute the quote, that the search for truth in the Bible, the Koran, and the Buddhist sutras is like a treasure hunt for light. You find a flicker here and a flame there, but the search is long and hard. Read the Jap Ji only and everything is there.
        (Of course it is all there in Katha Upanishad and the Gita and they are pretty short reading.)

        One of my favorite quotes from Adi Granth:
        Even kings and emperors, with mountains of property and oceans of wealth -these are not even equal to an ant, who does not forget God.

        Jen

        grace_tilton <grace_tilton@...> wrote: while i am not a Sikh, i have been reading through an english
        translation of the Guru Granth Sahib,