2565Mystic Verses of Sant Dadu Dayal: We are Influenced by the Company We Keep

  • James Bean
    Jul 8 1:57 AM

      Mystic Verses of Sant Dadu Dayal:
      We are Influenced by the Company We Keep

      Something becomes sweet when mixed
      with sugar, it becomes salty when
      mixed with salt.
      Such is the nature of humanity, O Dadu.
      This is our trait, indeed.

      In the company of the unholy, a barrier
      is created, and the taste of piety and
      devotion [bhakti] disappears;
      In the company of the holy, bliss
      is generated, and overfilled is one
      with joy.

      If the company of the holy one
      is obtained, the divine fruit
      of immortality does it bear.
      But if the company of the unholy
      is obtained, the fruit of poison
      does it yield, says Dadu.

      In the assembly of a Saint, noble
      thoughts arise,
      Whereas by sitting in the assembly of
      worldlings, knowledge parts company
      with the body, O Dadu.

      The company which does not arouse piety
      and devotion, wherein the Lord
      is not talked about,
      Whereby blemishes of sensuality are not
      shaken off, by what measure can that
      be called a *Satsang?

      Commentary

      In the company of worldlings, mankind loses love and devotion for God along with his entire spiritual qualities, whereas in the company of Saints he develops love, devotion and spiritual wisdom, and enjoys the fruit of divine bliss. To increase love and devotion for God and to wash off the impurities of the mind are the basic functions of Satsang.*

      * Satsang: True Association; Being in the Presence of the Eternal Truth of the Positive Power (God, Sat Purush), and other souls on the Path;

      ("Encyclopaedia of Saints of India, Volume 25: Sant Dadu Dayal", Bakshi and Mittra, Criterion Publications, New Delhi)

      Sant Mat Blog Archive: