2287I worship only God-within, nothing else, says Namdev

  • Sant Mat Mysticism
    Sep 27, 2008

      I worship only God-within, nothing else, says Namdev

      Sant Mat Fellowship:

      {"Repeat the Name of your Beloved, day and night, again and again. With care in thought, word and deed, you will cross to the other shore." -- Sant Dadu Dayal}

      Sant Namdev

      Below is from, The Hindi Padavali of Namdev, translated into English by Winand. M. Callewaert, published by Motilal Banarsidass, Delhi.

      The name Ram [God]
      has entered my heart
      placing a golden scale
      within.

      I worship only
      God-within
      nothing else
      says Namdev.

      Love of Ram
      is hard, Father
      till you see the self
      pervading everything.

      Your fine exterior
      filthy within
      cannot be washed
      with water, idiot.

      God is no idol
      nor the proffered leaves.
      Namdev does not worship
      in this manner.

      False worship
      cannot please Ram.
      It may fool
      the shallow
      and the blind.

      My eyes have turned
      inward.
      My heart clings
      to the feet
      of Ram.
      says Namdev.

      Who can be tainted
      once he says Ram?
      Sinners become pure
      when they cry Ram.

      Those who live
      in the truth of Ram
      should they fast
      or visit holy sites?

      In remembrance
      I found
      the right thing to do
      says Namdev.

      They will surely
      find moksha [liberation],
      those who say Ram.

      Sing Ram.
      Narhari, Sri Banvari.
      Constantly worship
      the feet of Murari.

      The guru's word
      is a stairway to heaven.
      The heart is Prayag*
      where sweet love flows.

      I wandered
      through the cosmos
      in search of the treasure
      but found it within me.

      Do not come or go
      stay at home and
      sing of your Ram
      says Namdev.

      I have pleaded with Ram
      I shall not ask another.
      My life grows shorter
      I cannot waste another birth.

      I will not implore another god.
      My tongue will taste only the elixir of Ram.

      Ram is with everyone,
      whether a worm
      or a moth
      moving
      or still.

      Ram is my life
      other gods are empty and useless
      says Namdev.

      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,
      Ram,

      --- Sant Namdev

      *Note: "Prayag": Prayag is the ancient name for the city of Allahabad. In Prayag the river Yamuna meets the Ganga. Another river, called the Sarasvati, is also said to meet the Ganga here, although it remains invisible and is believed to follow a subterranean path. The confluence (Triveni) of these three rivers is a very holy site, and millions go to bathe there. In Sant literature Prayag or Triveni is the name for the confluence of three mystic channels in the body, called ida, pingala and susumna. This was an important concept in Tantrik yoga and in Nath lore and it greatly influenced the Sants.

      Sant Namdev