President Bush/Forward strategy of Freedom

  • william fine
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2003
      "Therefore, the United States has adopted a new policy, a forward
      strategy of freedom in the Middle East. This strategy requires the
      same persistence and energy and idealism we have shown before. And it
      will yield the same results. As in Europe, as in Asia, as in every
      region of the world, the advance of freedom leads to peace.

      The advance of freedom is the calling of our time; it is the calling
      of our country. From the Fourteen Points to the Four Freedoms, to the
      Speech at Westminster, America has put our power at the service of
      principle. We believe that liberty is the design of nature; we
      believe that liberty is the direction of history. We believe that
      human fulfillment and excellence come in the responsible exercise of
      liberty. And we believe that freedom -- the freedom we prize -- is
      not for us alone, it is the right and the capacity of all mankind."

      President Bush's speech this week depicts the "prize" of democracy in
      two senses: 1) not a prize but a path which in itself contains and
      becomes values of democracy as nation-states evolve. 2) is a prize
      for us(America) to be shared with non-democratic nations.In other
      words the "prize" of democracy is a path for some a prize for others.
      Democracy is not that other nations are like us yet there are
      fundemental principles that all "successful" nations meaning us
      share. Path and Prize confuse again the clarity of regime change. We
      are not promoting universal notions of democracy in sense of "prize"
      or "Successful nation" until we have resolved the question in this
      new foreign policy position that what is a "path" for the Mideastern
      arab states or around the world is not a "prize" for us.

      Did our founders really have the notions of liberty and freedom so
      full blown in the historical events of the American founding? Was the
      Boston tea party because we promoting liberty worldwide or even that
      liberty was a universal symbol of the time. Had their been a
      revolution of thought before the tea party which the founders knew?
      Such a revolution in thought was occuring around the same time and
      our founders added to the ultimate reality of a true democracy. But
      it was not because everyone knew liberty or freedom at the same time-
      a universal idea of freedom or liberty. The Boston tea party was
      economic and tax related-we lacked representation in England. In
      other words, our new policy makes it harder for non-democratic
      nations to understand the democratic message.Thus, the path for our
      founders was in many ways unintended. The declaration of indrpendence
      came after. In the events themselves there was less clarity. Are we
      not in the same position now if non-democatic nations are in the
      midst of their change? Where is their passion for freedom and
      liberty? Where have they been wronged? It is one thing to talk about
      the fruits of the tree but have the fruits been taken away? Where is
      the injustice that leads to justice? Freedom alone does not define
      such a passion. America cannot give full blown democracy away if it
      has not been uprooted in the human conditon, I think, in some way. If
      our founding seemed unintended, in the midst of the moment, it led to
      defining democracry in the world. Prseident Bush ought to remember
      this in is new "Forward strategy of freedom"

      Lastly,
      a word of warning that as Israel and America move forward in the war
      on terror that two sides do not merge-cannot merge in our imagination
      or on the ground. It is tempting to think that America will borrow
      from Israel its techniques on terrorism. But this yeilds other
      consequences: Namely a defensive posture in the Sunni triangle in
      Iraq, already barbed wire is going up around cities there. Where does
      it lead? Walls like what is proposed in Israel? A west bank in Iraq?
      Can America create a seperate land for its enemeies and contain it?
      This is not a trap America can afford to be like Israel. For innocent
      civilians would be trapped as well? How could we know which is which?
      Indeed, How do we know which is which in Israel?