social cause VS political principle:The confusion of modern man

  • william fine
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2005
      Thank you for illuminating analysis !
      I argued before that the great changes in human political history
      were not due to social causes as the cause of these events that many
      of the great revolutions were fought for political principles. In
      the Jewish context another question raised-why the Jews do not
      consider "timeless values" timeless in a political sense? -Even if a
      Jewish politics arises from G-D himself- I will explain that in my
      next e-mail to the group.

      First your first objection:
      I dont disagree with your analysis of the way that
      that the history of Mankind indeed has portrayed
      itself. Here is the paradox:While history seems to
      portray itself as you suggested from Social cause to
      political principle the epistemology or the theory of
      how we know this to be true is quite different. For
      example with 9/11 we have a new paradigm of national
      security-but not so new historically-the attackers
      attacked to destroy America in other words an act of
      revolution replacing one order with another...Yet they
      also derided America social existence as a threat to
      their very being. Is our national security then a
      social cause? or can it be understood as Bush and
      Sharansky declared of political freedom vs
      terror?(political principles) In other words has 9/11
      elevated the idea of political principle into social
      cause? In such emergencies as attacks there is less of
      a distinction made between the two but then what about
      violent revolutions-of overthrows themselves? In how
      we think about the political vs social cause Why would
      you still insist the social cause is the raison d etre
      to the political principle? If I was slave would I not
      be in a state of being attacked and overcome because
      my freedom had been taken away? Would I care about
      poverty in France? unless the poverty was a part of
      the violence directed against me? Indeed how then is a
      political principle different in these times post
      9/11? I would say only in the degree of
      self-deception: What is the perfect example of this?
      Live 8 to end all African poverty- a social cause- but
      look we turn our backs on the unimaginable political
      horror of what Mugabe is doing in Botswanna. Yes
      modern man does separate social cause from the
      political life at risk of his own misfortune...
      I would argue post 9/11 there are no more social causes.

      William Fine
    • mskn23un