Death

  • aslan_10463
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2002
      Dear Venerable Monks:

      Why should I not fear death?

      I arrived at this question from another more longstanding question of mine (which I also humbly as your assitance with). There seems to be a division
      amoung Buddhist schools that confuses me. Some schools of Buddhism
      mention future lives (which suggest that there is an ego or an
      identity that continues after death) and others seem to say no. Do
      we to some degree, survive death and take another life form? Thank
      you very much for your time and attention. I am not writing this
      question frivolously.

      Best wishes,

      Mark Lewis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
        There is unity among Buddhist schools, past and present, on rebirth. Every
        school accepts it. The emphasis on living at present moment is, however, not to be confused with a belief in future lives.

        Buddhism does not teach that one should not fear death. Instead it teaches
        that real happiness is achieved when fear of death has been defeated. In other
        words, Buddhism focuses on tackling fear of death. This fear, Buddhism says, can be defeated before we die.

        Nothing wrong to have fear of death. Before the third stage of arhathood,
        everyone has this fear, some stronger than others. Yet, what the Buddha was imply saying to us was that we had the opportunity and indeed capability to overcome fear of death, if we choose to. And life without fear of death would be wonderful. The way to overcome fear of death is called the Dhamma.

        On the question of ego, I would suggest that you try to understand how ego
        is at work here and now before trying to grasp how it "continues". As to
        the question of identity, all Buddhist schools agree that there is NO permanent
        entity. Buddhism does not, however, reject a process in which individual-hood
        is formed. There is identity, but not a permanent entity. As it is not
        permanent, it is not appropriate to compare that with the belief in soul or
        ego as in other religions.

        With Metta,

        Ven.Dhammasami

        In message <adgo0t+hg17@...> SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com writes:
        > Dear Venerable Monks:
        >
        > Why should I not fear death?
        >
        > I arrived at this question from another more longstanding question of mine (which I also humbly as your assitance with). There seems to be a division
        > amoung Buddhist schools that confuses me. Some schools of Buddhism
        > mention future lives (which suggest that there is an ego or an
        > identity that continues after death) and others seem to say no. Do
        > we to some degree, survive death and take another life form? Thank
        > you very much for your time and attention. I am not writing this
        > question frivolously.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Mark Lewis

      • amy70113
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2002
          Dear Venerable Monks,

          Recently a good friend of mine died of a drug overdose. He was given
          a formal christian burial because of wishes of his family. Though he
          really had no complete religious convictions, he believed mostly in
          buddhism. We are going to have a memorial for him in the city he
          lived in and will be scattering ashes of his remains in the river
          here. (he often sat by it). Because of the way he died, is there a
          certain chant I can say to help his soul into a better world? He was
          a very good man. Lived his life following the precepts somewhat well
          except for the drug problem.

          Thank you for your help.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2002
            The ritual conducted behind by the living affects little the life of those
            gone. Meaning, his good life, good practice and good thoughts are the main
            gaurdian for him. No different funeral or chanting as far as the dhamma is
            concerned; if there is, it is due to cultural development.

            There are two things when you do anything for him that you should keep in mind
            so that you have a sense of purpose: first they are for him. It is to accummulate merit for yourself so you are rich enough with merit that you can help him in whatever way still possible. This means to share the merit with him.

            Second, to reflect on the impermanency that he has expressed co clearly in
            the process, and learn to live a life with less attachment, anger and delusion
            as a result.

            Where and how yo scatter the ashes matter only as far as your perception goes.

            Life is impermanent; not everlasting; but fleeting.

            With Metta,

            Ven.Dhammasami