nimitta

  • tarickfrance
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2005
      Dear venerables,

      can you please give some advise on how to move the nimitta to the rest
      of the body.

      i am having difficulties maintaining it stable, it turns black/purple
      and becomes white again, then after some time when i refocus on the
      nostrils it just stays for a while and then vanishes( like a
      television you try to adjust and you just get the snowy image)
      Sometimes the nimitta stays and i just observe but that's all, do I
      just wait and see.
      Thank you and happy new year
      Tarick
    • tarickfrance
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2006
        Dear venerables,

        In the Pa Auk monastery it is said that once you have established
        the nimitta you can use it to explore the 32 parts of body(hair
        nails,etc)

        This is the point where I'm stuck; venerable Phrao from Tournon sur
        rhone in france tells me that I should pay no attention to this and
        just continue to observe.

        However I get the sensation that it blocks, but i would like to use
        this nimitta to get confirmation that all materiality/mentality is
        non self, and try to experience the non self in all emotions.
        Is this a correct reasoning or do i have to revise the whole process.
        I have a sincere desire to progress in sitting meditation.
        It is true that meditation is not only sitting, closing ones eyes
        and doing samatha, mindfulness continues all the time.
        But I have a job ( I work in the pharmaceutical industry where i
        sell generics to pharmacies,so the buddhist teachings are often very
        difficult to apply)That is why I rely on my siting meditation.
        Please help me litle.
        Sometimes I am in conflict with this conventionel world of sales
        money lies etc and the peacefull way of the Buddha's teaching.

        Thank you in advance
        Tarick from france