Therapy versus Mindfulness

  • thedharmahouse
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2005
      hello I am very interested to ask the sangha its opinion with regard
      to the use of therapy in the process of enlightenment.
      I live in a Buddhist community and we have different members with
      different perspectives on this issue...
      Surely mindfulness itself is the path to the deathless? does
      therapuetic intervention hasten our ability to attain final liberation?

      There seems to be an awful lot of interest in the merging of Dharma
      teachings with western psychology....so I think my question is
      this...what can these therapuetic techniques give us that pure
      awareness can't?
      I'd love to hear what you think!

      a deep bow of gratitude
      Nick
      www.thedharmahouse.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2005
        Mindfulness meditation or insight meditation is the most direct path,
        but one must first prepare the foundation.

        When Kisagotami came to the Buddha with her dead baby asking for
        medicine, the Buddha didn't tell her, "You need to practise insight
        meditation to overcome your attachment." He told her to bring some
        mustard seed from a house in the village where no one had ever died.
        She went from house to house, asking for mustard seed as medicine, and
        at each house they gladly gave her some, but at every house they told
        her that someone had died there, if not recently, then last year or
        some years ago. Gradually, it dawned on her that death was inevitable
        for living beings, so she left her dead baby somewhere and returned to
        the Buddha. Then he taught her the Dhamma and she was able to practise
        vipassana meditation.

        So therapy and counselling have a purpose. Just listening to people
        complain about their suffering can help them to come to terms with the
        First Noble Truth. When they are ready to practise, then they must
        practise samatha or vipassana meditation to develop concentration and
        wisdom. When vipassana is heavy going one can practise loving-
        kindness, Buddhanussati, or do some chanting to gain tranquillity.
        Pure vipassana requires a high level of mental purity to be effective.

        --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "thedharmahouse"