Addressing a Bhikkhuni

  • mastram101
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      Pujaniya bhante,

      In India, we normally address a monk as "bhante" or "pujaniya bhante"
      or "bhante ji". How a bhikkhuni (nun) should be addressed by a lay
      follower respectfully? What word is used for this purpose? (or can the
      word "bhante" be used for addressing a bhikkuni?)

      waiting for the reply.

      Rajendra Jadhao
      Rihand Nagar
      Uttar Pradesh, India
    • Ajahn Jose
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
        Dear Sir, A bhikkhuni should NEVER be addressed as BANT, only sister, she is a nun. There is NO PROPERLY ordained Female Monks in Theravatan. Meta,. Venerable Yanatharo

        mastram101 <jadhao@...> wrote:Pujaniya bhante,

        In India, we normally address a monk as "bhante" or "pujaniya bhante"
        or "bhante ji". How a bhikkhuni (nun) should be addressed by a lay
        follower respectfully? What word is used for this purpose? (or can the
        word "bhante" be used for addressing a bhikkuni?)

        waiting for the reply.

        Rajendra Jadhao
        Rihand Nagar
        Uttar Pradesh, India

        Buddhism Ven conmigo Buddhism religion Burmese Ven Ven conmigo 2

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 13, 2005
          Dear Dhamma friend Rajendra,
          You are from India. In India and Sirilanka There are some socalled Bhikhuni.
          In Burma and Thailand there are no Bhikhuni in our Theravada Sasana. Insteat
          of Bhikhuni there are nuns or sikkhavati or silavati. You want to address
          them respectfully, you can address them '' SAYALAY'' .This word is usually
          used in Burma for nuns. If they are very senior nuns and abbot of the nun
          temple, then they can be called ''SAYAGYI'' . Their precepts are almost
          eight precepts or ten precept. So they can not be compared with Bhikkhuni
          precepts.
          May you be able to understand the real Buddha Teaching , well and happy.
          With metta,
          nandasiddhi.