Kevin Choong

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      Dear Kevin,

      Your question consists of a few querries, each requiring separate answer. Today, I shall talk about controlling the mind.

      You said you couldn't control your mind. This is true to many people and there
      is no point being irritated or disappointed about it.

      Actually, we should not control our mind in the way that many people think we
      should do. They think by not letting their midn to think, wander and see
      recall events of the past, one is controlling his mind. That may be true, and
      again that is only one of the many ways to deal with our own mind.

      First, we should just be aware of the mind wandering. We need reconise it,
      instead of resisting it. We as human beings want to conquer everything,
      internal and external. We want to control the way things work. At times, the
      clock is too slow and at times too fast. We feel agitated and want to control
      it by making it the way we want. This is a menifest problem of every mind.

      So instead of trying to control your mind, you should just be aware and then
      simply recognise the way your mind is at a given moment. Do not judge good
      or bad. Simply registering the way it is.

      Hope to hear from you soo.

      With metta,

      Venerable Dhammasami