question

  • Sally Stein
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
      Thank you for your kind consideration.
      In my working life I face many challenges. In order to perform one of my
      duties, I find that if I do not anticipate negative scenarios, I cannot
      formulate solutions in strategies to avoid them. The results of not
      anticipating possible negative outcomes may be poorer conditions for those I
      represent. I am disturbed by this aspect of (what I perceive to be) my job.
      By the end of the week I am troubled and uncentred to some degree, also
      tired, though I endeavour to perceive, to speak and to act with
      consciousness of compassion, as this itself is centring: more importantly, I
      feel it to be correct and find no blame afterwards (if I am diligent in the
      middle way). I need to understand and correctly respond to events as they
      unfold. My question is: how can I perceive in need of my role to anticipate
      possible negative outcomes in order to avoid them, yet also remain centred
      in my right mind? Great peace will come from knowing what to do to live the
      answer. Thank you.
    • Sam Mccollins
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 24, 2005
        hello venerable sir's
        I would like to know what are the differences between Thervadin moks and Mahayana monks like rules, garb ect.

      • Nagasena Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
          Theravada and Mahayana's monk became separated after three hundred years of the Buddha. According to Theravada's sources, this split occurred due to the cause of Vinaya rules, (disciplinary code for the monk), rather than that of later Mahayana's concept of Buddhahood. There was a historical debate took place during this time among the disciples of the Buddha, related to whether or not the Buddha taught the philosophy of Bhava - 'being', or how a being can transmit in the Samsara (life after life) and so on. Solution seemed to have failed to reach an acceptable conclusion. Later, the scholarstic period of Abhidhamma, which mostly concerned with mind, matter and transmision in subsequent life, supposed to had been the main reason behind the split of these two schools. Subsequently, the concept of Mahayana appeared to become persistent and reached to the establishing of a new school with its new texts, concepts and practice. It took about five years to see the basic concept and
          practice of Mahayanism.

          The main purpsose of Mahayana's practice is to save the infinite beings across the Samsara before they become themeselves Buddha whereas Therava is to attain enlightenment by the practice of present Buddha's teaching and at the same time to help others to get enlightened or overcome from suffering. There are number of mystical concepts found in Mahayana practice, while Theravada keeps its practice simple, logical and experiential within this lifetime, without denying the future and the past existence. Both schools however shared common value in basic philosophy such as four noble truths etc.

          Both schools have very long history of philosophy and practice, which I cannot point out all here. Theravada school look more orthodox and monks are not allowed to work in public places even though some related Buddhist teaching at the academic institute is visible. Theravada monks are normally confined to the strict rules in the monastic life. Mahayana is rather liberal approach in their way of living life, even though some sects of Mahayana live in celibate life. They put different robes as well. Anyway, i cannot give you all details here. Try to visit Mahayana and Theravada's temple to find out by yourself - how they live.

          Nagasena

          Sam Mccollins <sammccollins301@...> wrote:
          hello venerable sir's
          I would like to know what are the differences between Thervadin moks and Mahayana monks like rules, garb ect.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Panya Rakkhita
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2006
            venerable sir,

            How can a monk serve the people in the best possible way?

            with regards
            panyarakkhita

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
              > How can a monk serve the people in the best possible way?

              The best possible way during the present era would be by attaining
              Arahantship and then teaching the Dhamma.

              Second best would be to attain Non-returning and then to teach the Dhamma.

              Third best would be to attain Once-returning and then to teach the Dhamma.

              Fourth best would be to attain Stream-winning and then to teach the
              Dhamma.

              Fifth best would be to study the Tipitaka, practice meditation, and then
              to teach the Dhamma.

              Sixth best would be to study the Tipitaka and then to teach the Dhamma.

              At least, if one studies the Tipitaka and teaches the Dhamma, one serves
              the people well. If one only accepts alms without teaching the Dhamma one
              does not serve the people very well.

              *****

              How do lay people serve the Sangha in the best possible way?

              In this current era the best possible way would be by attaining
              Arahantship and then entering the Sangha.

              The second best way would be by attaining Non-returning and then entering
              the Sangha or by supporting the Sangha.

              The third best way would be by attaining Once-returning and then entering
              the Sangha or by supporting the Sangha.

              The fourth best way would be by attaining Stream-winning and then
              entering the Sangha or by supporting the Sangha.

              The Sangha is best supported not only by providing the four requisites.
              One should also support the Sangha by encouraging the study and practise
              of the Dhamma, by asking the monks about the Dhamma, and by training
              oneself under the guidance of learned monks according to the Dhamma.

              Well-educated lay people are a great help to the Buddhasaasana. They help
              the monks to preserve their Vinaya rules properly. When the Vinaya rules
              are preserved properly then the Saasana is protected. Wise and good monks
              and lay people, by associating together, are a great benefit to the
              Buddhasaasana by perpetuating the genuine practice and teaching of the
              Buddha.

              If the lay supporters are not well-educated in the Dhamma and Vinaya they
              can corrupt the monks, or they can become corrupted by uneducated,
              negligent, or wicked monks. Corrupt monks and corrupt lay people
              associating together can do great harm to the Buddhasaasana.
            • Panya Rakkhita
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23, 2006
                dear bhante pesala,

                I am very grateful for the answer to my question 'how can a monk serve the world in the best possible way?'. after reading the answer i come to know that there many ways of serving the people. ven. sir, i will try to be either the fifth or the sixth one i.e., learn the tipitaka, practise meditation and teach or study the tipitaka and teach.

                Ven. sir, does teaching also include running institutions like schools, colleges etc., which are normally considered as world acts?

                i will also share your dhammadesana with my friends in the monastery.

                thank you very much.

                with regards,
                panyarakkhita

                .