Who's Kamma?

  • nargarg
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 9:14 AM
      Venerable Bhikkhu,
      I am confused regarding the transferral of merit: in
      Thailand (and other Theravadin countries?) it is believed that when
      someone does something meritorious, such as ordain as a monk, one
      may 'transfer' the merit of this action to other people, in practice, often
      one's parents. Firstly, if one is responsible for one's own kamma & its
      vipaka, how can the results of one's actions be 'transferred' from oneself
      to another being? (Also, If they have not enacted the kamma themselves,
      how can they benefit from it?) Another question concerning the transfferal
      of merit is if one can transffer 'good' kamma to another being, why not
      transfer 'bad' kamma, such as the results of being a murderer? Surely, if
      such transferrals are possible, it works both ways?
      Thank you for your attention, Gary Daubney.