Re: [SanghaOnline] Marana Sati

  • Venerable Asabha
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      What I want to talk about is Marananussutti as taught by the Buddha. Marananussati here means mindfulness on the nature of death.

      If you are aware of the nature of death, you will never be afraid of it in the future as well as in this very life. Everyone should always be aware of the nature of death, so that he or she can face it anytime anywhere.

      To understand it, I'd like to explain with examples as much as I can, in accordance with the Buddhist scriptures. "The one who has never seen the snake, will be very frightened when one sees it unexpetedly but the one who has seen the snake before will not be surprised and afraid of it in similar situation.

      In this connection, we can have an understanding that if we have prior experience about something we could not be afraid of it and if we have no experience we can be afraid of it. That is why we should comtemplate the mindfulness meditation on the nature of death, before we die. We should contemplate on the nature of death well before we are about to die. This is Marana sati or Marananussati kammatthana Meditation on the nature of death.

      Venerable Asabha

      Wendy Bixby <wendybixby@...> wrote:
      Dear Sangha,

      Could you tell me about the deeper teachings (that the Buddha taught) on the contemplation of death?

      Warmly,
      wendy

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Wendy Bixby
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Dear Venerable Asabha,

        Thank you very much for your prompt response.

        I know that I will need a lot of practice to respond mindfully when a snake crosses my path. So I am wondering what suggestions the Buddha made for practicing deeply Marananussati Kammatthana Meditation.

        Thank you for your time and kindness,

        with gratitude,
        Wendy