Questions the Buddha declined to respond

  • Tharchin Sonam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2005
      Dear Venerables,

      these days I am taking part in a discussion on the
      topic if the Buddha remained silent on topics like if
      there is a creator God or not, if the world had a
      beginning or not etc. While there might have been an
      occasion where the Buddha actually remained silent to
      someone's question I feel like that the position of
      the Buddha in all is not at all leaving this question
      open, but denies the existence of a creator and an
      beginning of the world. Now in that discussion I
      constantly am confronted with people saying that this
      very question is not at all important and we simply
      have to practice and shouldn't discuss such
      unimportant things.
      So what is the fact from the Sutras? Did the Blessed
      One teach on these topics or not? And: Are these
      questions unimportant and misleading, preventing
      practise?
      Tharchin

      http://my.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2005
        These are some of the questions that the Buddha declined to answer.

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/majjhima/mn063.html#poison

        There are some questions that should be set aside because they are not
        conducive to peace and liberation from suffering. They do not include the
        question about God.

        The Brahmajala Sutta explains about the origin of all the various views
        and how they arise.

        http://web.ukonline.co.uk/theravada/brahma1.htm

        Belief in God is merely attachment to a particular view. One should
        develop the Noble Eightfold Path to relinquish attachment to all views,
        and try to get direct knowledge that is beyond belief. If one believes,
        one does not know, so doubt will remain. The Buddha's advice to the
        Kalamas in the Kesamutti Sutta is also about the importance of not
        believing.

        http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Suttas/Kalama/kalama.html
      • bodhi
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2005
          Respected venerables

          i am a monk student from india studying in thailand, i am going to visit switzerland to get an idea about buddhism there and to write my article. can u help me introduce some theravada temples there.

          Note:- i have visited web site of thai temple switzerland but i can't understand because information was not in english

          thanks

          with metta

          yours in dhamma

          bodhi priy