Re: confusion over true teachings

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
      Many Mahayana Sutras are not accepted by the Theravada, so you won't find
      them in the Pali Tipitaka:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_texts#Mahayana_texts

      The more I learn about Mahayana Buddhism the less respect I have for it.
      First I learnt a little about Nichiren Buddhism, the followers of whom are
      devoted to the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren's teachings are a travesty of
      Buddhism.

      "Nichiren taught that all of the benefits of the wisdom contained in the
      Lotus Sutra can be realized by chanting its title [Nam] Myoho Renge Kyo.
      Chanting these words and excerpts from the Lotus Sutra is the core of this
      Buddhist practice, supported by study and the propagation of teachings.
      Faith, practice and study are the basics of the Buddhist practice,
      pursuing activities for oneself and activities for the sake of others."

      Then there is the Shurangama Sutra, which was written by Mahayanists and
      put into the mouth of the Buddha. Its aim is to denigrate the Arahant
      ideal as inferior, and elevate the bodhisattva ideal as superior. It also
      tries to make the Venerable Ananda look weak and foolish:

      "At that time, because Ananda was begging in sequential order, he passed
      by a house of prostitution and was waylaid by a powerful artifice. By
      means of a mantra of the Kapila religion, formerly of the Brahma Heaven,
      the daughter of Matangi drew him onto an impure mat."

      If you believe that this is the teaching of the Buddha, you'll believe
      anything. First learn the basic teachings of the Pali Tipitaka. There is
      nothing more that you need to know. It will take a lifetime to learn the
      entire Tipitaka. One doesn't need to learn it all. If one studies a few
      key suttas carefully and practises meditation diligently one will gain
      insight. If you gain insight, it is not difficult to sort out the chaff
      from the wheat.
    • Colin D. Neal
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
        On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

        > .....If one studies a few
        > key suttas carefully and practises meditation diligently one will gain
        > insight.

        Dear Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala:

        Would you kindly post or otherwise identify these "key suttas"?

        Thank you for your kindness.

        Sincerely....Colin Neal
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
          You will find a short recommended reading list here:
          http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Pesala/Buddhism/buddhism.html#What

          That would be a good foundation.

          --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Colin D. Neal" <cneal@c...> wrote:

          >Dear Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala:

          > Would you kindly post or otherwise identify these "key suttas"?
          >
          > Thank you for your kindness.
          >
          > Sincerely....Colin Neal
        • rama krishna
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
            Venerable monks and members of the group :

            I Wish You all a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2005

            Bhavatu Sabbe Mangalam

            Regards,

            Rama Krishna...

          • Colin D. Neal
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
              On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

              > You will find a short recommended reading list here:
              > http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Library/Pesala/Buddhism/buddhism.html#What
              >
              > That would be a good foundation.

              Dear Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala:

              Thank you very much for this information.

              Sincerely..Colin Neal
            • gy_richard
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
                Venerable Bhikkhu Pesala,

                Thank you for addressing my question regarding confusion over true
                teachings, and for the short recommended reading list. I thank you,
                (and the other Bhikkhus on this site) for being here to answer our
                questions. Thank you for helping to point me towards the truth.

                Much Metta,
                Guy