right livelihood

  • gy_richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2004
      Greetings Venerable Sir,
      I bow to you.

      I am new to this site and I posted a question the other day, only I
      think I sent it directly to someone by mistake, (instead of posting
      it here). I apologize for any problems that may have caused, and
      will, from this point on, post from the proper location.

      My question concerns right livelihhod. I have had a hard time making
      money and making ends meet for my family. Recently I had a stroke of
      good karma and ran in to an old friend who owns a screenprinting
      business. He has offered to help me start my own business,
      (screenprinting t-shirts, signs, etc.)Since my background is in art,
      this seems like a good thing. My first thought was to print Buddhist
      related images on T-shirts. I would want them to be tastefully done,
      and printed with mindfulness. I also thought I could donate a portion
      of the sales to help a Buddhist group or temple. And to only sell
      them on websites and locations where people truly interested in
      Buddhism may find them.

      But then I started thinking of the whole idea of making money from
      Buddhist images, not to mention putting it on something as common as
      a t-shirt, and now i don't know. It seems in the Mahayana, they are
      more inclined to charge money for teachings, whereas the Theravada
      school says that teachings should be given free for dana, which is
      what seems right to me.

      So, what do you think? Is it okay to make money from printing
      Buddhist related images?

      Thank you for being on this website and for taking the time to read
      this.

      Again, I bow to you,
      with metta,
      Guy
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
        One might make merit as well as money by selling Buddha images, but one
        should be careful not to misuse the image by printing on articles of
        clothing on any unsuitable items. Sacred images should be sold only for
        religious use, not for decoration. Monks do not need to make money, but
        householders must struggle to earn a living in the most wholesome way that
        they can manage.
      • gy_richard
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
          Dear Ven. Bhikkhu Pesala,

          Thank you for answering my question on printing Buddhist images. Your
          answer makes perfect sense - I will only make images which are for
          religious use, and not put them on t-shirts or any type of
          decoration. Thank you again for taking the time to write back.

          Much Metta,
          Guy

          --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...>