Re: [SanghaOnline] Buddhist pilgrimage

  • R.O.Jadhao
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2004
      The venerable members of the holy bhikkusangha,

      My question is similar to that asked by Dieter Moller. In the
      Maharparinibbana Sutta, the Tathagata says four holy places must be visited
      by a kulaputta (Lumbini, Bodhgaya, Sarnath and Kusingar). If he visites
      these places, he attains merit. I have myself visited three out of these
      four places. I have visited Bodhgaya, Sarnath, and Kusinager. I was not able
      to visite Lumbini because of the Maoist disturbances in Nepal. While
      visiting these places, I was filled with immence reverence and lot of
      feelings to be seeing the spots where the Tathagata attained enlightnement,
      where the tathagata set the Dhamma chakra rolling and where he attained
      anupadisesa mahaparinibbana. What should be a lay upasaka's approach towards
      such pilgrimages?
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2004
        I think that the Buddha meant that if one wishes to make a pilgrimmage,
        these four places are the most important to visit. It is not obligatory
        for all Buddhists to make any such pilgrimmage to visit one or all of the
        Holy Sites. There are many wholesome deeds that might be done by a devout
        Buddhist. No one can do them all. The most important wholesome deed is the
        practice of insight meditation. All Buddhists should try to do that one.