Name and form

  • greysteppenwolf
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      Dear Venerable Sirs,

      Kindly explain to me as simply as possible what is "name and form"
      in the twelve links of dependent origination. Is it is possible in
      normal consciousness for the "name and form" link to be missing? Is
      it exists, what would such a state feel like? Is it a
      wholesome/progressive state or an unwholesome state?

      Thanks in advance.

      3/12/04
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
        What is matter, never mind!

        What is mind, no matter!
      • greysteppenwolf
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2004
          --- In SanghaOnline@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...>
          wrote:

          > What is matter, never mind!
          >
          > What is mind, no matter!

          Dear Venerable Sir,

          I do not understand this reply. Perhaps it is a cryptic answer to a
          cryptic question. The truth is I have been experiencing altered
          states of mind periodically over the past years, (but I do not take
          intoxicants) . Sometimes, it feels like most/all intelectuality is
          gone and what's left is a vacuity, or that the naming function in the
          mind is gone or very slowed down. Or that reality is dissolving away.
          Is there a way to work with such states in meditation? (These states
          occur in normal waking hours).I am but a beginning meditator and in
          truth I would like to deal with these states better because of
          meditation.

          Do such states have significance in a religious sense? Is it good or
          bad karma? If it is good or bad karma, what is the cause in this life
          or previous lives? Or are they signs of a mind gone awry, an
          exhausted mind, for I also have periods of depression and racing
          thoughts.

          Perhaps, with this information and self-disclosure, the Venerable can
          give me a clearer answer.

          May all sentient beings be well and happy.

          greysteppenwolf
          10-12-04